Antibiotics in water?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laurie123, Apr 1, 2012.

1. laurie123

laurie123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Just wondering, is it really necessary to add antibiotics to your chicks water?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    No, only put antibiotics in the water if you are treating your chickens for specific illness IMO. Sometimes at chicken shows you will see owners adding antibiotic to prevent illness because of increased stress and exposure, but that may also contribute to resistant strains of bacteria developing.

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    My chicks were fine w/o antibiotics. Unless you see they are sluggish, unhealthy, unhappy, ill, after you check with an expert, it may assist to ad a small amount of antibiotic. I gave my chicks antibiotic, and I even used less than told so it wouldn't make the chicks unhappy.

4. addie08

addie08 New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I have always been told to do so as a preventative measure, so we put Duramycin in our chick's water. However, we have right around 100, and they are very messy. I had rather be safe than sorry.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't add antibiotics. if they get sick and I have something specific that needs treating, I'll treat. But why would I want to destroy whatever probiotics they manage to build up?

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I suppose some feed stores recommend antibiotics for large flocks, but I don't think most back yard flocks get them or need them without some specific infection that needs treating.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. laurie123

laurie123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks to all of you. I felt like I was just being sold something else when I got my chicks and figured if they are healthy then why would they need it. I have 14 and everyone is doing great!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by