1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Antique Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Agdketo, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Agdketo

Agdketo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
    I have an antique incubator that was my great grandmas and she had a pretty nice chicken farm with the a huge coop, which was pretty much a small barn (the chickens were before my time) and now it (the incubator) sits in the carriage barn (now the garage) in the loft. I have a few pictures, and I was able to find very little information on this. Sorry some of the pictures aren't very great. I took them with my phone.

[​IMG]
    view from the front

[​IMG]
    view of the top

[​IMG]
    a device on the right side (the picture is sideways)

[​IMG]
    A view of the device from the top of it.

[​IMG]
    The device from the side of the incubator.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the incubator. It has two racks.

[​IMG]
    it says "Des Moines Incubator Co." and underneath it says "Successful"

[​IMG]
    this side says "Des Moines Iowa" and underneath that it says "incubator"

[​IMG]
    View of the top of the incubator. It has a hole in the top with a copper clip or something.

So, what does everybody think? Is there anyway I could still use it today?

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Nice!!! [​IMG] hope it works out for you

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    That is a beautiful old incubator, please get it out, clean it up, and make it useful again! I hate to see it wasting away there when it could be used, it is so pretty!

4. Agdketo

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
  5. Agdketo

Sep 14, 2009
    Aledo, Illinois
    I was actually hoping I could modify the incubator and use it. I've never used an incubator before though. What would I have to do to it to use it?

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:LOL. They say you can turn it into an incredible table or kitchen island. Whaaaaat!!! [​IMG]

What's wrong with keeping it as what it actually is - an incredible old incubator? [​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:LOL. They say you can turn it into an incredible table or kitchen island. Whaaaaat!!! [​IMG]

What's wrong with keeping it as what it actually is - an incredible old incubator? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Cool!

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That looks like a Redwood incubator. That's quite a score if you can get ownership of it.

It's worth the time to get it cleaned up and working again. All original if you can manage it. That wood needs to be cleaned and oiled pretty badly.

10. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It looks to have been heated with a kerosene lamp. That's what the gizmo on the side is for. Lamp goes under and heat is piped into the Incubator.

To use it in today's world I would suggest installing a wafer thermostat and a fan and heating element from a gqf Sportsman type Incubator. Really simple to do.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by