1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

antique incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johndeerematt, Dec 2, 2014.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Does anybody know what those antique kerosene incubators used for a thermostat? I've aquired an old incubator that has everything accept the thermostat. Grandpa explained to me how they worked, but he couldnt remember how the thermostat part went. Can't seem to find what kind of thermostat they used.

2. LisaKay3

LisaKay3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    I just recently joined BYC and was researching incubators. The old kerosene heated incubators utilized thermometers.

3. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    Check lehmans website I think they have new ones in there. The omish still use them.

4. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    With the price of kerosene, and the soot it emits, unless you want to use it in a historical museum setting, I'd consider replacing the kerosene heat with electric.

I am using a 150 watt ceramic reptile heating element that fits a standard medium base ceramic light socket. It doesn't emit light, only heat. I looked for a kerosene incubator before I built my cabinet, and had planned out the heating system based on the ceramic element.

The best way to regulate the temp is to use a digital controller with a probe, either a ready to go model sold for reptile heaters, or a do it yourself one that you would wire up underneath or behind in an inconspicuous place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by