Ants in the chicken run

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
What is best to sprinkle in the chicken run for ants? My chickens don’t eat them and they are all over the dirt and wherever the chickens spill food. I have a split run with 9 weeks old teenagers on one side and 1 year old hens on the other. Looks like fire ants, black ants, and harvester ants. I have barn lime, DE, PDZ granules and sevens dust as options. I also have some permethrin in a garden spray. Don’t want anything that will hurt my girls especially my babies. I have already treated several mounds outside of the run with Amdro.

I would use permethrin. I had an ant issue and used it and it either killed the ants or they moved. Either way they were gone.

I had two types of ants. One was the biting kind and the others were carpenter ants. Permethrin seemed to work for eliminating both.

What is best to sprinkle in the chicken run for ants? My chickens don’t eat them and they are all over the dirt and wherever the chickens spill food. I have a split run with 9 weeks old teenagers on one side and 1 year old hens on the other. Looks like fire ants, black ants, and harvester ants. I have barn lime, DE, PDZ granules and sevens dust as options. I also have some permethrin in a garden spray. Don’t want anything that will hurt my girls especially my babies. I have already treated several mounds outside of the run with Amdro.
Hey- I’m just sharing about your barn lime. I learned that is TOXIC to chickens. Throw it out and find AG LIME. That’s chicken safe.

with Love,
🍃Tree

Back
Top Bottom