1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janramsey, May 7, 2007.

1. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    How do I get rid of them.....without putting down toxic stuff ??? Is there a good way.???

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I had a problem with big red ants in our coop I used Orange Guard in the coop and have not seen an ant in weeks. We just cleaned the coop out again yesterday and no ants. You should be able to get Orange Guard at Ace hardware Or you can order it online at Orange Guard.com Its nontoxic and is all natural. The best part is it leaves a nice orange smell. This morning when I went into the coop it smelled so clean. Micki

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    There was a discussion a while back about ant killers and fire ants. There is a recipe for home-made orage ant killer there. Just do a search for ants and it should come up.

Karen

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've read that distilled white vinegar will get rid of them...just be careful not to spray it on any plants that you don't want to kill as it is also good for unwanted weeds.

Think I'm gonna try the Orange Guard, just because it will smell better! [​IMG]

5. janramsey

janramsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Thank you all for your suggestions......My coop is slowly going up......but as we work I find more and more ants......I will try these things.........

I also read on line about using grits..because ants are made up of mostly water......they will eat the grits and then the water in them will get sucked up......not sure......but surely to goodness something will work......

Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by