Anxiously awaiting my first eggs... 16 weeks old and counting!!!

Mycookoonest

Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
Ok what are the chances my girls will lay around 20 weeks or wait until the weather warms up?

I'm so excited that they are almost "of age" but I don't want to totally get my hopes up only to check those nest boxed everyday for 3-4 months without nearly a sign of an egg.

Unfortunately, I'd say your girls will wait till spring. It has to do with the amount of daylight they're getting. I believe you could encourage them by "extending" their day with artificial light if you're set on getting eggs yet this fall. I've never done it myself. Hopefully someone more experienced than I can give you more insight.

Jess

Well you're in NY state and you bought breeds suitable to the climate. I'm going to be optimistic and predict you'll get eggs very soon. If you have power in the coop you could add a little daylight before dawn. I'm installing my timer today to give a little more light from 5 am - 8 am. I'm getting 10 eggs a day from 12 golden comets who are 19 weeks old Thursday.
cool.png

Mine are all 19 weeks old now and nothing yet. I'm anxious too but afraid that I may have to wait until spring which is really ok because I don't want to rush them into laying either. BUT if I happen to start getting some eggs I will be thrilled!

All of our chickies are BO's. We got them the 21st of may. We found our first egg yesterday. Our chickens are supposed to be suitable to this climate also. We have a light that comes on 530am until eight and then again on at 630pm until 930pm.of course they dont go in the coop until 8pm so we are wasting a little elec. But I think this will give them time to get used to it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

Dh and our neighbor are hooking up the electric today so I should have electric out in the coop! What kind of light would I need. We were planning on running a brooder bulb for warmth (to keep the water from freezing) but would a 60 watt do the trick? That way we can get the light we need without making them feel like they're in the tropics.

You don't want them too warm, they need to feather out for winter and I understand you're in the snow belt. We had a brooder lamp for emergencies and we switched out to a cone-shaped 100W bulb to extend daylight. Some people use 60W, we chose based on bulb type. They'll give off body heat too.
cool.png
Keeping the water liquid is the bigger concern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom