any advice and help to teach me what to look for in a basic american class show chicken conformation

I see the op is on Alaska, so I am not sure bow likely it would be to have a mentor. It might be best to post pictures, and get an idea of where the birds are, and what direction to go in. Just reading descriptions, and looking at artist renderings of birds may not give someone an idea of what needs to be done, and how to go about making improvements.

Op,
1. you are looking for disqualifications as listed in the Breed Standard for the breed.
2. You are looking for proper silhouette and carriage.
3. Then you are looking for proper color.
4. Then you are checking out the minor Hallmarks for quality.
What are the differences in Major and Minor Hallmarks? The Standard for the breed will explain that when you read the section on cutting points off the total for defects.
Best
Karen

Usually there are 3 categories of considerations.
1. The disqualifications.
,2. Major Hallmarks. They count for for points.
3. Minor Hallmarks. They count for less points.
Silhouette is everything.
Best,
Karen

Op,
1. you are looking for disqualifications as listed in the Breed Standard for the breed.
2. You are looking for proper silhouette and carriage.
3. Then you are looking for proper color.
4. Then you are checking out the minor Hallmarks for quality.
What are the differences in Major and Minor Hallmarks? The Standard for the breed will explain that when you read the section on cutting points off the total for defects.
Best
Karen

Usually there are 3 categories of considerations.
1. The disqualifications.
,2. Major Hallmarks. They count for for points.
3. Minor Hallmarks. They count for less points.
Silhouette is everything.
Best,
Karen

From your posts, I am confused. How long have you been showing Poultry? Which breeds and varieties?

I think the OP was asking how to assess the various aspcts of the bird. Honestly, if one is interested in showing, the standard may only get you so far. Some details are not mentioned in the standard, and some breeds/varieties do not seem to be judged according to the standard. Since the OP specifically mentioned the American class, if one bred to the weights in the standard, the birds would be way undersized in a show. I was told typical Plymouth Rocks are over 15 lbs., and the standard says 9 1/2 lbs. I think one reason the poultry fancy is in the shape it is on today is because people do not look at their breeding birds as a whole (people tend to look at one of two aspects per generation, not the entire bird), and people do not cull aggressively enough.

If the OP will post pictures, maybe people can point in the right direction to go.

Yes Gojira, I breed the whole bird and I analyze the whole bird . However, the original poster seemed to want to Cliff Notes on the subject . that's what I was trying to give. I agree Cliff Notes on this subject are kind of useless. I figured maybe the original poster was looking for a starting point on a complex subject? Your points are well taken .
Karen

Back
Top Bottom