Any advice for me and my 3 ducks?

mixedcoat

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
Hello! I have 3 rescued ducks all hatched from the same (litter?) they had 16 brothers and sisters. they were all my young cousins ducks however she asked us if we could take care of a few since she planned on givibg away most of them. we agreed to take them and they have been wonderfull pets so far one hatched much later then the rest and with a slightly deformed kneck (Remy the smallest) he is the sweetest little duck ever and loves to cuddle. one (Peep) has lived it's whole life sickly and weak who now is slowly getting stronger and more healthy after a few trips to vet and proper meds shes quiet and sweet and loves peas. the 3rd and biggest ended up growing big and strong and altho he has an attitude is quite sweet when he wants to be (penguin) they are inside and outside ducks altho they are mostly kept inside (the two little ones tire out easily and we worry they will get hurt if left outside to long prnguin also tends to trample them and Remy cries for me if left away to long. they all are very happy living in my bathroom and bedroom (my bathroom is actually quite large so they have room to play) the little ones are easy to handle but penguin is very messy. I can handle it but it does take some time. Any advice on how to make cleaning a bit easier or quicker? tips? Also what's the best way to build strength in duck legs the doctor said she's (peep) is become quite healthy despite her being weak in the knees. We have been doing lots of swimming but she dosnt always like to swim long and tires very easy. Also they are all about 3 1/2 months old (Remy about a week younger)

Hello! I have 3 rescued ducks all hatched from the same (litter?) they had 16 brothers and sisters. they were all my young cousins ducks however she asked us if we could take care of a few since she planned on givibg away most of them. we agreed to take them and they have been wonderfull pets so far one hatched much later then the rest and with a slightly deformed kneck (Remy the smallest) he is the sweetest little duck ever and loves to cuddle. one (Peep) has lived it's whole life sickly and weak who now is slowly getting stronger and more healthy after a few trips to vet and proper meds shes quiet and sweet and loves peas. the 3rd and biggest ended up growing big and strong and altho he has an attitude is quite sweet when he wants to be (penguin) they are inside and outside ducks altho they are mostly kept inside (the two little ones tire out easily and we worry they will get hurt if left outside to long prnguin also tends to trample them and Remy cries for me if left away to long. they all are very happy living in my bathroom and bedroom (my bathroom is actually quite large so they have room to play) the little ones are easy to handle but penguin is very messy. I can handle it but it does take some time. Any advice on how to make cleaning a bit easier or quicker? tips? Also what's the best way to build strength in duck legs the doctor said she's (peep) is become quite healthy despite her being weak in the knees. We have been doing lots of swimming but she dosnt always like to swim long and tires very easy. Also they are all about 3 1/2 months old (Remy about a week younger)
What have you been feeding them? Ducks, while growing up, require additional Niacin in their diets. You can simply add a little brewers yeast to their food and it will help. As for cleaning up after them. Ducks, though they are fun, funny and really pretty, are the pigs of the bird world. So with that in mind just do the best you can.

Hi there! Are you ducklings getting enough niacin? That seems to be the number one cure to most duck/duckling leg issues. What kind of feed are you giving them? If it's regular chicken starter, then chances are your birds are niacin deficient. I've been giving my ducks Nurtritional Yeast since day one, and their legs are thick and strong as tree stocks (9lb Pekins!). So I would suggest starting with a supplement like that.

In terms of keeping them clean in the house, I'd go check out some of the "house duck" threads...those people are ingenious!

Yes they all get LOTS of niacin I pour it over there peas and well as mixing brewers yeast in there food it's regular duck starter non medicated some cracked corn and a bit of dry cat food they also eat peas watermelon and the big one eats mealworms too

Back
Top Bottom