Any advice on breeds?

aaronri

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and will be the proud owner of an old 3 acre farm in Rhode Island in a couple of weeks. The property has a HUGE chicken coop existing. I'm going to fix it up a little and by spring move 15 chicks from the brooder out to their new accommodations. (about 100 square feet inside the coop) I want to keep layers, and have to order 5 of each breed from the hatchery I chose. I'm thinking Rhode Island Reds, Silver laced wyandots, and ameraucanas. This is mostly hobby production- giving away extras to friends and family. I think I want the Ameraucanas for their interestingly colored eggs, and the other two should produce nice big brown eggs. Anything I should try instead?

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You've picked 3 nice breeds
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Sumi! They should be pretty happy, and so should I be with all those eggs. I'm thinking of getting one Ameraucana rooster for future generations. The colored eggs coming from the Americauna and the brown layers should result in green eggs, correct?

welcome-byc.gif
Understand that the "ameraucana" chickens that you receive from a hatchery will most likely be Easter eggers - crossbred birds that may produce blue or green eggs. A rooster carrying the blue egg gene bred to brown egg layers may produce 'olive eggers' that lay a khaki colored egg. Enjoy your flock.

Great selection of breeds!! Ameraucanas and Rhode Island reds are some of the breeds in my flock. Great egg layers and yes, pretty interesting colored eggs!:)

Hello! Welcome to BYC! Those are three good choices for a nice mixed flock. I started out with an RIR and a Wyandot myself and was happy with that choice.

If you decide you want white eggs, white leghorns are the best layers I have ever had. Or, if you prefer a little more variety Marans and Welsummers both lay rich, dark brown eggs. It is fun to see a carton full of color.

Ask lots of questions and let us know how your chicken adventure goes. Good luck!

Last edited:
Chicks ordered! Just placed my order with eFowl for 5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 5 Ameraucanas, and 1 Ameraucana Cockerel. I'm anticipating receiving them mid Feb. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom