Any Advice on Chickens eating lead based paint?

Greetings jaerome1,

Lead toxicity is a very concerning thing, I can understand why you are worried. In the "Chicken Health" book, by Gail Damerow, she details the effects of lead toxicity in chickens, from not being apparent, to having symptoms like, listlessness, increased thirst, decreased appetite, emaciation and green tinged droppings. The chicken may grow weak, wings drooping, and young birds die quicker than older birds.

And even when there are no symptoms, the eggs may contain lead! Of course this is dependent, on the amount and duration, that the hens consumed the lead. This can impact the health of pregnant women and children, who eat the eggs on a regular basis.

Dealing with lead toxicity is a two part procedure:

First, remove the source of the toxic lead.

Next, chelative therapy. Your vet could have prescribed good chelation medications, but since he didn't here is one recommended by the ASPCA.

Activated Charcoal (Purchase over the counter)
The recommended dose of activated charcoal for all species of animals is 1-3 gm/kg body weight. Duration was not listed, but the duration for people is 2-4 weeks.

Finally, supportive therapy for birds that are in need.
electrolytes, antibiotic for infection due to suppressed immune system, vitamins B12 and B1, antifungal for crop problems, Magnesium Sulphate.

Gail Damerow, The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition, Storey, 2015, Print.
Page 314

Jill A. Richardson, DVM, Christine Allen, CVT, ASPCA Tips to Manage a Poison Emergency, http://www.vspn.org/library/misc/VSPN_M01158.htm
Copyright 2018

Samour, Jaime. Avian Medicine, Third Ed. , Elsevier, 2016, Print.

For testing of eggs, call your local county extension office for advice on where to have eggs tested.

For more information on lead contamination call the National Lead Information Center:
1-800-424-5323

This is my contribution, I hope the information is of some help.

God Bless :)

Greetings jaerome1,

Lead toxicity is a very concerning thing, I can understand why you are worried. In the "Chicken Health" book, by Gail Damerow, she details the effects of lead toxicity in chickens, from not being apparent, to having symptoms like, listlessness, increased thirst, decreased appetite, emaciation and green tinged droppings. The chicken may grow weak, wings drooping, and young birds die quicker than older birds.

And even when there are no symptoms, the eggs may contain lead! Of course this is dependent, on the amount and duration, that the hens consumed the lead. This can impact the health of pregnant women and children, who eat the eggs on a regular basis.

Dealing with lead toxicity is a two part procedure:

First, remove the source of the toxic lead.

Next, chelative therapy. Your vet could have prescribed good chelation medications, but since he didn't here is one recommended by the ASPCA.

Activated Charcoal (Purchase over the counter)
The recommended dose of activated charcoal for all species of animals is 1-3 gm/kg body weight. Duration was not listed, but the duration for people is 2-4 weeks.

Finally, supportive therapy for birds that are in need.
electrolytes, antibiotic for infection due to suppressed immune system, vitamins B12 and B1, antifungal for crop problems, Magnesium Sulphate.

Gail Damerow, The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition, Storey, 2015, Print.
Page 314

Jill A. Richardson, DVM, Christine Allen, CVT, ASPCA Tips to Manage a Poison Emergency, http://www.vspn.org/library/misc/VSPN_M01158.htm
Copyright 2018

Samour, Jaime. Avian Medicine, Third Ed. , Elsevier, 2016, Print.

For testing of eggs, call your local county extension office for advice on where to have eggs tested.

For more information on lead contamination call the National Lead Information Center:
1-800-424-5323

This is my contribution, I hope the information is of some help.

God Bless :)

Yes Thank you for that Information actually! I appreciate it greatly. I had a weird feeling the Vet wasn't all that concerned with it. Or just didn't think it would affect the Hens or eggs for some reason. But he was the only one who see's foul around here so that's what I had LOL. And Yea they don't display any signs of illness at all. That was one of the reasons the Vet didn't think anything was wrong. Awesome reference's and contact info.

Chickens can eat spiders and snakes because those animals are venomous. Venom has to be injected through fangs to be dangerous, swallowing it is harmless. You can drink snake venom.
Lead is poisonous. It's toxic in the bloodstream, the stomach, anywhere. If the chickens aren't showing signs, you might have stopped them early enough to keep them from suffering any ill effects. Any amount of lead is bad for them, but a small amount might not make them sick.

Back
Top Bottom