any advice would be helpful.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I need your opinion,do you think hens are more content with a rooster or without.i have three hens they are around a year old.never had a rooster.i'am wondering the pros and cons about getting one for my three girls.

in my opinion, they are happier without a rooster. there is less stress for the girls and they're not always suffering from the roos "attention". plus side of having a roo is that if they free range the roo can help protect the hens, other than that if you're not wanting fertilized eggs I wouldn't have a roo.

Personally, the only benefit I've found is the crowing, which we enjoy. My lead hen served as "look-out" and boss before we had a rooster, and all my hens put themselves in the coop each evening.

My five (original) girls went without a rooster the first 7 months. I bought a pretty one (again, because DH and I like the sound of them) who was around 9 months, and it was a disaster. I kept him separated for a few weeks, and gave it a few weeks once they were together. But he was young, strong, and hormonal, and he wasn't taking no for an answer. I ended up with one hen who'd barely leave the coop housing and another with a bloodied comb (more than once). Egg production went down (I guess due to stress). He went to a farm with LOTS of hens.

We tried again the following year. This time we went with a bantam (d'uccle) who was about 2 yrs. old, known to be mannerly with hens and people. The farm we got him from (for free) told us to just bring him back if he didn't work out. When integration time came, it took all of five minutes of chest bumping for them to accept him. Don't know if it's because he was older, because he had manners (never seen him go after a hen that didn't squat for him when he sidled up to one), or what, but they're fine with him except my big ol BO, who tolerates him, but bosses him around.

I'm just telling you this, because I've found that evidently chicken chemistry does play a role. Some hens will take to one roo, but not another.

Thank you all.I didn't really want want to get a rooster.but i wanted what was best for my girls.

Some people say that hens lay better with a rooster around. We had a little roo for a year before we got busted by a neighbor (roosters aren't legal where we live), and had to rehome him.

Our hens slowed down their laying after he left, but they were also a year older, so I'm not sure which factor was more significant.

That's true. The crowing will get you busted. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and it's hard not to hear first thing in the morning. Stupid HOA laws.

Back
Top Bottom