Any advice?

AlbertaChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 22, 2012
Hello, I am new chickens and have not yet even built a coop. I want some begginers pointers because spring is coming and I hopefully would like to get some chicks/chickens. I am not sure on what size of coop to chicken ratio or if I should get a rooster until later Etc, If I could get some advice on medical care, costs (Per Month), Breeds, coop designs and other essential things, then that would be greatly apreciated! P.S. I do not wish to have more than 6 chickens.
D.gif
big_smile.png

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to them

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 0

(3) What breeds do you have? N/A

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Computers

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I really am interested in chickens and want to get some.

Last edited:
You came to the right place. The folks on here are very helpful. I recommend doing some searching on specific topics you are interested in and you will be able to answer alot of your questions that way. Good luck!

Welcome from Southern California! Goodness, there's so much to share but I'll start with this: do NOT buy/build a coop because it's cute. I made this mistake, didn't know any better, and I break my back every time I have to clean the darn thing. Build a coop that you can walk into standing upright with a normal human-size door. If I could do it all over again, that's what I would have done for starters. It will make it sooo much easier to clean and maintain!

Good luck and have fun!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Start by looking at the Learning Center here, including the articles. That will give you some idea. Food cost etc depends on the breeds, where you buy your food etc. Also look at the Coops section for designs and plans, the Breeds section for more info on breeds. If you buy vaccinated chicks or vaccinate them yourself, maintain good coop hygiene, deworm and dust for mites your medical costs should be minimal. Good and and if you have any more questions, go the appropriate section and ask. We're here to help!

Back
Top Bottom