Any Answers??

Pretty-Poultry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
If I got two male guinea fowl, would they fight? If I got male guinea fowl, would they mate with my chickens? These questions might sound stupid but I really don't know a thing about guinea fowl. Haha, please help me?

The answers to your questions is "Maybe, maybe not". There aren't any hard and fast rules about guineas, but there are some things you can do do lessen the chances of bullying. First you probably need more than two guineas. You need at least four (imho) or more. Some people disagree with me and would recommend 10 or more. The fewer you have, the more important the gender of the guineas becomes. For example, if you have four - it might work best if you have no more than 1 male, but the personalities of each guinea determine the flock dynamic. Females can be really bossy and mean, too, though. Each flock has its own leader or two, or three...:).

Plenty of space will help no matter how many guineas/chickens you have. Give them lots of room in the pen/coop. As PeepsCA says, male guineas lose their minds in the spring - be ready for that. Young human males tend to do the same thing, but I digress :).

Guineas and chickens have been known to mate, but it's uncommon and the offspring don't live very long.

Also, guineas need to be confined in their pen/coop for at least six weeks so they can "imprint home". But if they don't know that your pen is where home is, they will probably wander off sooner rather than later.

There are tons of articles on the internet that will give you tons of info really quick. I'd suggest reading if you need to start from the beginning and get the info in a day or two.

How many guineas do you have? How long have you had them? How are you housing them? How old are they? Do you want them for bug control, breakfast eggs, or do you want to hatch out keets in the future - or all of the above?

i have 3 male guineas with my chickens and have had not problems with them mating with my chickens and once in a great while they fight with each other but not bad. When my chickens start fighting the guineas are right their to break the fight up its funny to watch. But these are how my guineas are so i don't know how other guineas would be.

the hybrid chicken guineas I have seen pics of and read about all seemed to come from C-roosters on G-hens and some were labeled as a year or more old. It may be that the other direction is less productive and that the male chicks born may be less thrifty/infertile or or never fully develop as with many hybrids.

the hybrid chicken guineas I have seen pics of and read about all seemed to come from C-roosters on G-hens and some were labeled as a year or more old. It may be that the other direction is less productive and that the male chicks born may be less thrifty/infertile or or never fully develop as with many hybrids.
Male Guineas do not have the correct physical anatomy to breed chicken Hens but will still try to mate chicken Hens (and some have been known to be very persistent/relentless if they have no Guinea Hens of their own to breed with). Fertilization is still possible if the Hen is exceptionally willing/accepting. Even then, offspring from this pairing is a pretty rare occurrence. Roosters on the other hand can and do get the job done on chicken Hens, with much less difficulty. As far as which combo lives longer I have no clue, but considering a normal healthy non-hybridized Guinea can easily live 12-15 yrs... a year old or more isn't living very long. If Guinea chicken hybrids lived to a typical ripe old age I think we'd see a lot more of them in backyard flocks world wide.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom