any avid flower gardeners?

fatguyaz

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just curious to see what people plant in their flower gardens that are "chicken proof" (ie. hardy enough to withstand a few pecks) or plants and flowers that chickens just don't like to eat. We have one flower garden that they like to dirt bathe in and have eaten only certain flowers/plants. We're slowly figuring out a few plants that we can plant more of, safely, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions. We're in AZ, so they would need to be fairly heat tolerant, as well. Thanks in advance!!

Chad

I know I'm going to have trouble with the girls and the veggie garden already, so we'll be fencing that baby this fall. As for my gardens, I'm going to put up fencing that'll basically bisect my yard, so they can't get to the flowers. I can't have them tearing up my good gardens, nope, won't happen! But thus said, I have to make sure they can't.
wink.png

I've given up gardening. It's a shame as the hens have eaten all the slugs...and the flowers..and the veg..

Well, I'm sorry, but the birds would go before I gave up gardening. Seriously. I know around here that's an incredible thought, but I'm a lifelong gardener. I started with chickens for eggs and other byproducts - mainly manure! To put on said gardens. If I can't garden, I can't live, so no chickens are going to deprive me of my gardens. Uh-uh.

I think it comes down to the size of the area and how many chickens forage in it. If you can find the right ratio the gardens/plants and the hens will both prosper. Think balance - yen and yang kinda stuff
wink.png

I have a huge garden in the front yard containing: Purple asters, Mums, Sedum (dragons blood), tulips, lillies, hostas, ferns, peonies,liatris, Balloon flowers, geraniums, Black eyed susans, phlox, hen and chicks, iris, and a few other plants that i cant remember the names. All the chickens like hiding out under the hostas and adjacent lilac bush and the only thing they really peck at are the hosta leaves. The veggie gardens same thing, nothing is fenced off and they patiently wait until i take something out and give it to them. I have never trained them to do this they have just always been like this. I guess i am very fortunate. They choose to dig their dust bathing holes in the middle of the yard
roll.png
hmm.png

I love gardening and I love my chickens! The only thing keeping my chickens out of the veggie and flower gardens is the kind of fencing you use to keep rabbits out. They could easily hop over it, but never have. The only thing they did was jump up and grab one stalk of corn. Maybe they saw a bug on it! It seems to me that chickens and gardening are perfect together, as long as you keep them apart! When I am working in the garden, the chickens gather round the fence and wait for me to throw them a treat. They love tomatoes- but only red ones!

The only thing green i have found that my chickens won't eat is rosemary, thyme, and lavender. I saw a hen this morning jumping up as high as she could trying to get the last of the few green tomatoes I have left, she finally got it and ran.My garden this year didn't do anything, hope next year is better, LOTS BETTER. marrie

Back
Top Bottom