Any Breeds not so apt to pluck and eat feathers?

Teena Marie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
SE Washington
I have read a lot of forums here on feather eating and the different methods of curing this problem. I currently have 6 RIRs that are nice reliable hens but I can't stand looking at the poor things. They are getting naked. Not the pretty chicks they used to be. I have tried many of the suggestions from BYC to curtail the feather plucking and eating. I have spent a lot of time, energy and money into trying to get them to stop. I will be getting rid of them this fall and getting some new chicks in the spring. So, my question is this. Are there any breeds of chicken that are less likely to pluck and eat feathers?

All chicken breeds will occasionally pluck feathers, but Rhode Island Reds can be aggressive at times. You will have less problems with a more docile breeds such as Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps (great layers as well), Cochins, or Brahmas. Also, be careful not to overcrowd your chickens. Chickens with plenty of space are much less likely to pluck feathers and turn cannibalistic.

I've always wanted the Buff Orpingtons so I will give them a try. I have a big coop and a 10' x 30' run. I also let them free range in the late afternoon. Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom