Any Bunny Owners?

fallenweeble, thanks so much for all of the great advice! There is just so many good tidbits of info, its a little overwhelming. My vet is about a 15 minute drive from me; he treats bunnies, and there just happens to be a bunny rescue in the same town! I was browsing their website last night, its great! All of their buns are spayed/neutered, and the adoption fee is $55.

tiffanyh, thanks for the picture, your setup is wonderful! And as cute as it is, my other half may just let me build that in the backyard!
big_smile.png

Quote:
rabbits are territorial, even when nutered. if you're going to stick two together, you'll probably have better luck with two females that were raised together.

countryroad that is GREAT!
most bunny rescues will let your bunny "date" so that you can get a good match for your bun. and $55.00 is a very good adoption fee. the cost of having a female bun spayed is MUCH more than that! so adopting a spayed female for 55.00 is a very good way to go i think.

don't get overwhelmed - it's a fun process to learn about bunnies! have a good time and enjoy your new friend(s)!
tongue.png

As long as my bun is neutered, I don't have a problem getting him a spayed female. He is a Polish; the guy who sold it said he probably wouldn't get any bigger, but might grow some. I'm guessing that means he's around 6 months old? What other breeds are a good size to keep with him?

I used to have a lot of rabbits-raised and showed satins and himalayans for many years. I had about 300 at one time. I was in 4-H for many years-member, jr. leader, ambassador, and just loved it. I would like my dd to get a rabbit when she gets a bit older. All of your photos are too cute!

hey CR,
i know it seems counterintuitive but with bunnies size doesn't matter nearly as much as personality. i have one bonded pair of buns where the female (a flemish giant) outweighs the male by about 8 pounds!
if the rescue lets you take a look at more than one bunny at a time maybe ask them to bring a bit of a "selection" and you can let your bun-man pick his girlfriend! (they do recommend you wait about 4 weeks after the neuter to start that process - just to let the hormones "settle").
smile.png

My Mini Rex Hope just had Three little ones that will be turning 6 weeks on saturday
big_smile.png

One Female (dawn) and two males (Oreo and Freckles)
big_smile.png

I fell asleep on the couch last night with Dawn beside me and she just stayed right there beside me I think my mom may have taken a picture of it too
smile.png
tongue.png

I'll post pictures of my babies tonight

forgive me for asking.........what do you get for $55 for "adopting" a rabbit? Here you can buy them all day long for $10 or less.

yup, the surgery is worth the 55.00 alone!
i've paid upwards of 300.00 to have my female bunnies spayed. because they are considered "exotics" vets sometimes charge an arm and a leg to do surgeries etc.
it's true you can buy unfixed bunnies for a song (or free) but then you end up paying a lot more for the spay/neuter if you decide to do it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom