Any chance of stopping rooster attacking my dog?

Apr 19, 2024
I have two dogs and one rooster and for the last year they have just ignored each other. Recently the rooster attacked my smaller dog (a staffie) and will now chase him if given the chance and I have to keep them separate. This is quite inconvenient as the rooster lives free range in my garden throughout the day.
I am curious if anyone has had similar and then fixed the problem? I am not optimistic and did kind of expect this kind of aggression at some point. All my hens were killed by a fox recently, I had five and only the rooster managed to survive so he is alone until my current chicks are old enough. Perhaps having hens again will help even though logically it seems like it should make it worse?

Any advice appreciated.

I have two dogs and one rooster and for the last year they have just ignored each other. Recently the rooster attacked my smaller dog (a staffie) and will now chase him if given the chance and I have to keep them separate. This is quite inconvenient as the rooster lives free range in my garden throughout the day.
I am curious if anyone has had similar and then fixed the problem? I am not optimistic and did kind of expect this kind of aggression at some point. All my hens were killed by a fox recently, I had five and only the rooster managed to survive so he is alone until my current chicks are old enough. Perhaps having hens again will help even though logically it seems like it should make it worse?

Any advice appreciated.
Maybe relocate the rooster to freezer camp as it will take many months until the chicks are ready for rooster attentions. Among your current chicks there probably will be a male or two anyway.

And welcome to the BYC community! :frow

Think of it this way... Your roosters girls were just attacked and killed by a fox (think canine type). Now your allowing your dog (think canine type) to come within reach of your rooster.

My advise...separate them both out of site for a few weeks. Let the stress and shock wear off and then do a super soft introduction. Leash your dog and bring it out far away from your rooster for a few days so he can see and realize your dog is not a threat. Gradually get closer and see how it goes.

This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario is full separation or cull, re-home one or the other as your roo may or may not ever recover. Hard words there, I'm sorry.

Good luck and sorry about your flock.

Maybe relocate the rooster to freezer camp as it will take many months until the chicks are ready for rooster attentions. Among your current chicks there probably will be a male or two anyway.

And welcome to the BYC community! :frow

I wouldn't kill him but I could sell him easily, I have had several offers but I just really like the guy.
Think of it this way... Your roosters girls were just attacked and killed by a fox (think canine type). Now your allowing your dog (think canine type) to come within reach of your rooster.

My advise...separate them both out of site for a few weeks. Let the stress and shock wear off and then do a super soft introduction. Leash your dog and bring it out far away from your rooster for a few days so he can see and realize your dog is not a threat. Gradually get closer and see how it goes.

This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario is full separation or cull, re-home one or the other as your roo may or may not ever recover. Hard words there, I'm sorry.

Good luck and sorry about your flock.
I did consider this, but they have had weeks of being normal before the aggression started. He also makes a sound like a chainsaw underwater at the sight of a fox which he doesn't do with the dog, so I don't think he sees him as much of a threat. If he did see dogs as a threat it doesn't make sense he is fine with my much larger dog.
But I will indeed keep them separated for a while and see. Worst case scenario it would be easy to sell him I have had offers already. I am just not sure what their intentions are with him. I had four males, sold three to a guy who wants to buy any other males I breed...just seems suspicious to me considering these are a game type breed. But people seem to really like this one in particular, I am not sure why.

I am thinking that maybe he is stressed wuth being alone. It sounds bad, but maybe contain him to the coop until you can get him some hens. When the hens are there he may be less stressed and have his attention more on his flock than on your dog.

At the moment, he is alone, with no hens. Chickens normally do not do well alone. Hens become depressed, I am wondering if roosters become angry.

I am thinking that maybe he is stressed wuth being alone. It sounds bad, but maybe contain him to the coop until you can get him some hens. When the hens are there he may be less stressed and have his attention more on his flock than on your dog.

At the moment, he is alone, with no hens. Chickens normally do not do well alone. Hens become depressed, I am wondering if roosters become angry.

Thanks, I guess I will find out and hopefully it's a happy ending.

I wouldn't kill him but I could sell him easily, I have had several offers but I just really like the guy.

I did consider this, but they have had weeks of being normal before the aggression started. He also makes a sound like a chainsaw underwater at the sight of a fox which he doesn't do with the dog, so I don't think he sees him as much of a threat. If he did see dogs as a threat it doesn't make sense he is fine with my much larger dog.
But I will indeed keep them separated for a while and see. Worst case scenario it would be easy to sell him I have had offers already. I am just not sure what their intentions are with him. I had four males, sold three to a guy who wants to buy any other males I breed...just seems suspicious to me considering these are a game type breed. But people seem to really like this one in particular, I am not sure why.
I don't have any knowledge with game birds. Maybe there's something there I'm not aware of.
The added info you provided does make me think tho not to completely separate because then you would have to reintegrate (so to speak) the smaller dog again becoming a stranger. If you decided to keep him, of course.

Then pen him up so he will no longer be able to harrass your dog.
If he continues your dog might (rightfully) snap.

And I would get him at least three adult hens for company.

They have been separated since the first attack, the rooster has the garden throughout the day and my dog gets out before and after he is locked away, plus walks. I let the larger dog out though, partly to keep foxes away because the reason my hens were killed was the fox got me off guard showing up in the daylight. No issues at all with the larger dog, which gives me some slim hope he will settle with the smaller one again if the situation changes.
I would ideally get some adult birds, but I have eight chicks growing fast and I will end up with too many birds for the coop. I will see if I can arrange a deal with someone to swap adult birds for chicks in the future maybe.

Back
Top Bottom