Any chantecler experts out there?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by taraann81, Nov 19, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Has anybody else noted their Chantecler roos to be extremely aggressive to the hens? I also have 2 barred rock roos and they are gentle. The chanteclers are extremely aggressive to all the hens? Just mine or a breed trait? All of mine are going to freezer camp, so much for pure chanteclers!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Are they just mean to the hens, or are they mean to you too? i know my BR roo had to be taught a lesson or two from us, but he was rough on the ladies--wearing off feathers. Sadly (not really)he went byebye along with three other young cockerals a few days ago, and I now have a new BR king. I don't know about chanteclers specifically, but could it be that you have too many roos, and the chanties are trying to dominate the hens for breeding rights? Are they fighting with the BR roos? Is ther one that might be a keeper? I'd hate for you to have to give up on the chanteclers.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i find my banatam roo " portactive " of his hen but not mean

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    No they aren't mean to us. Just running around grabbing at the hens feathers pulling a lot out, all the hens non imparticular. They don't bother my 2 barred rock roos.. I do have too many roos. But The extras are going to the processors on the 2nd. I'm done with the chanteclers anyways. Now that I can finally sex them(they're tricky) out of the 9 I hatched 7 were roos! One hen was hit by a car, doesn't seem to make sence to keep one roo for one hen. I prefer my barred rocks anyways!

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Are the barred rocks the top roos? Sometimes with the weaker, smaller, more shy roos--they will breed aggressively when they get a chance to actually breed. I have a GLC roo that was like that until I separated him from all of the other roos and gave him 6 hens of "his own." Now he's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by