Any chicken suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leviosa, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Leviosa

Leviosa New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm trying to convince my parents that we need some chickens. They would live in my backyard. I think I could take a total of two, but preferably they should look pretty and lay a lot of eggs. I'm considering both Andalusians and Polish, but I think it would have to be one or the other. Also, I couldn't put a run in my yard, so is there any way to stop them from flying away?

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

First, [​IMG]

second, most large fowl do not fly well. They may flap their wings and "run" up a fence, but not just fly away.

As for a "Run" they WILL need a secure place for them. is your yard fenced at least? they will need a house of some sort to keep them safe from hawks and owels.

Verify they would be allowed where you live.

RobertH

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Andalusians are flighty. It sounds like you might like Sultans. They lay pretty well and content to be in a backyard situation.
    Silkies are couch potatoes but go broody enough to cut into egg production.
    Think about predators.
    Polish, sultans and silkies are vulnerable to attack from above.

4. Leviosa

Leviosa New Egg

Feb 12, 2012
    I've checked and hens are allowed in my city. My yard has a six foot wooden fence, and I could definitely build a coop. There is a falcon who lives in my area, but I think most chickens are bigger than him, so that should be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by