Any day now...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Apr 30, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Muscovy ducklings will be hatching under our 3 broody ducks! [​IMG]
    I am sooooo excited! Today should be about day 33. Now if this rain would ever let up I could finish getting their new house in order so we can move them over as soon as they're all hatched.

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Good luck!!

I was at the VA hospital in Johnson City, TN yesterday and made my husband pull over. In the pond there were 2 Muscovy's. They were so pretty!!

The first time I saw Muscovy's I had no clue what they were. They sent me scrambling to the internet to see what kind they were. What really fascinated me though, was that I saw the female coming out of a nest she had in a tree!!

I adore them although I don't have any. Maybe one day...

Again, good luck with your babies and remember, lots of pics once they hatch!!

Laurie

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    A hole in a tree is their prefered nest in the wild. The theory is that the female is considerable smaller than the male because the ability to fit in a small hole is a surivial plus (can't spell tonight)

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I will post pic's when they hatch! [​IMG] One Scovie, Charlotte chose a big plastic bin on a shelf about 2 1/2' off the floor. Two others, Beth & Arwen, are sharing a nest and I hope will co-parent their little ones. They chose a big plastic bin on the floor under a shelf. The last duck, Gwen, has ducklings due about mid May or so and she chose a plastic bin that is set into the frame of a chair bottom so she's a bit off the floor. This is our first time w/Scovies so it's a real learning experience. I really like these ducks & our drake, Duke, is very handsome in my opinion, as drakes go [​IMG] . I've only had to swat him once when he was getting a bit to testy with the baby chicks running around him when he just wanted some peace and quiet.

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by