1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any experience with Baytril?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tylerhearn, Nov 11, 2011.

1. tylerhearn

tylerhearn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Hello all! I wanted to put out a quick post to see if anyone has had any experience with Baytril? One of my chickens had what my vet said was a respiratory infection and he prescribed Baytril to help. It's banana flavored and typically used in Parrots, but he said it would be fine for her too. That was maybe 2 months ago and it seems that the infection has come back (swollen, goopy eye on one side, which is what happened last time).

So, I am going to take her back today to get her weight and more medicine, as he said that it could come back and that if it did to bring her back for an accurate weight and more medicine. So, with regards to respiratory infections/issues, are there any other medicines that someone may recommend? Or, if you have had experience with Baytril, how did it work for you?

Just wanted to get some input to talk to the vet about today!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've never used baytril for a respiratory infection, but as far as an antibiotic goes for poultry use...it's top of the line. Tylan 50 can be used for respiratory problems as well and does a good job, but it's one step down from baytril IMO.

3. tylerhearn

tylerhearn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Quote:Hi dawg53! Thank you so much for the reply. Good to know that it's a good medicine in general!

4. SillyCityGirl

SillyCityGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Haven't used baytril for poultry yet but I have used it for respitory problems with reptiles. It worked but I liked using amakacin better for reptilian respitory infections.

Since this is the second go around for you and your bird with this problem, did your vet do any test to figure out exactly what is causing the problem? If it was a reptile that I was dealing with I would be requesting a lung wash and a culture to be done. Don't know if they do this in birds or not though.

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi ive used baytril a couple of times on my chickens and they seemed to pick up but only for a short while. My vet recomended "Tylan 200 " and that seems to work better for me. I suppose any antibiotic would only work on the desease it was made for (sorry about spelling lol) also i gave baytril by mouth and Tylan 200 by injection so thats probley why. My baytril wasnt banana flavoured it was a clear thick liquid so you might be using something i havent used.. Good luck and i hope it does the trick..xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by