Any experience with Red Leghorns?

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
I had 3 years ago, in with a group of white leghorns. They were pretty birds, can’t remember any standout issues except one went broody and was mean to deal with. Are they as flighty as white leghorns?
I also remember getting a white egg with a slightly pinkish tint. I am wondering if they all lay those or if some lay the chalk white eggs that other leghorns do?

All Leghorns of any variety should lay a white egg.
Most broodies are always mean because they are telling you not to disturb them.
The term flighty can be construed differently, While Leghorns can fly, I view it as a characteristic of most Mediterranean breeds which actually equates to them being wary (predator proof) and aloof (avoiding human contact).

We actually have some Red Leghorn hens from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They have turned out pretty great. They're not scrawny they seem true to size and they are great egg layers.
I was left regretting not ordering some males chicks given that these turned out so well. If I get a chance I will post some pictures of them today.

We actually have some Red Leghorn hens from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They have turned out pretty great. They're not scrawny they seem true to size and they are great egg layers.
I was left regretting not ordering some males chicks given that these turned out so well. If I get a chance I will post some pictures of them today.
Good golly, yours must have taken the stamina from mine then 😅

Mine were from McMurray. 3 pullets, 1 died in transit, 1 withing a few hours and then the 3rd was just runty.

Oh, please do post some pics of your red Leghorns! I have some Murray McMurray Red Leghorn chicks to be shipped to me onMarch 16th. So, I’d LOVE to see the color of yours!
Murray is basically all sold out for the year, but Murray McMurray told me to keep checking back in the “chicks available section.” For the past several weeks, they showed sold out all season for pullets and straight run. But suddenly tonight 12 straight run and 6 pullets showed up so I bought them immediately. I got lucky to see that tonight. So either someone cancelled or they now have more eggs for that setting then they had originally anticipated. Are they as dark as Rhode Island Reds? That is what I am hoping to develop after working on my Red Leghorn lines. So I would LOVE to see yours so I will have a feeling of what I will be receiving in March! Thanks so much!

Oh, please do post some pics of your red Leghorns! I have some Murray McMurray Red Leghorn chicks to be shipped to me onMarch 16th. So, I’d LOVE to see the color of yours!
Murray is basically all sold out for the year, but Murray McMurray told me to keep checking back in the “chicks available section.” For the past several weeks, they showed sold out all season for pullets and straight run. But suddenly tonight 12 straight run and 6 pullets showed up so I bought them immediately. I got lucky to see that tonight. So either someone cancelled or they now have more eggs for that setting then they had originally anticipated. Are they as dark as Rhode Island Reds? That is what I am hoping to develop after working on my Red Leghorn lines. So I would LOVE to see yours so I will have a feeling of what I will be receiving in March! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom