Any Family History Enthusiasts here?

I was lucky enough that my mom's cousin published an entire book on their paternal line. It was so cool! Probably not as tough to research as they come from nobility. Lots of formal records going back farther than Roman Empire. Her maternal side is Cherokee and Irish, so way less records there.

My Dad's side is a lot more difficult to pin down. Mostly because of lack of formal records, along with a common name on his maternal side, and the fact that it was kept a secret for a long time that he was adopted, and there are only spotty records about his paternal line. Apparently, when his father's family came to America, they either did not know how to spell their name, or changed the spelling.

My father knows very little about and really wants nothing to do with his bio dad, and I can't say I blame him. I've come to the realization that lack of records can sometimes be a result of illiteracy, illegitimacy, and people procreating without formal marriage. So I think I've gone about as far as I can.
Getting an Ancestry DNA test on him would find relatives that might know.

I have so many cousins!

I've decided to respect my father's feelings about researching his family history until after he's passed. It's kind of a sore subject for him. I may, at some point in time, try a DNA test. A lot of this came about when I had kids. I dug deeper to try to find out if anyone was on the Dawes roll, so my children could get benefits. My mom's Cherokee decendants opted out of the rolls, but I'm nearly certain my dad has some native ancestry because of the way he looks.

I've decided to respect my father's feelings about researching his family history until after he's passed. It's kind of a sore subject for him. I may, at some point in time, try a DNA test. A lot of this came about when I had kids. I dug deeper to try to find out if anyone was on the Dawes roll, so my children could get benefits. My mom's Cherokee decendants opted out of the rolls, but I'm nearly certain my dad has some native ancestry because of the way he looks.
I read an article about Cherokee. Apparently there are a small amount of Family names that are possible for Cherokee. Check into that.

The article said that historically Cherokee was used when the parent in question was actually African American. I am not saying this is the case but that it is something to look into.

Hello,

My phone is back up and running. I can post pictures now.

As I said before, there was a building named after my great great grandpa where I visited in Utah. I am attaching pictures.

7AA47A81-228F-4DB7-8F1E-F4F0BC9ED4F9.jpeg

In case you’re wondering, yes, that’s me.

8FFC6EFC-29C6-4276-9043-587360213386.jpeg

You can see the resemblance. Like great great grandpa, like great great grandson!

Jared

Hello,

Have not posted for a while, but I found something interesting about family history I wanted to share.

Me and my family were going through some old boxes, when we found this. It belonged to my great great grandpa, same one I posted about earlier.

image.jpg

It’s in Danish, and it’s very old. It is his Danish Scriptures. It has a lot of his hand writing, as well as Danish shorthand I am currently trying to translate.

If there’s one thing that excites me, it’s a family history mystery of what is written in his shorthand writing.

As I said before, I love family history.

Jared

Hello,

Have not posted for a while, but I found something interesting about family history I wanted to share.

Me and my family were going through some old boxes, when we found this. It belonged to my great great grandpa, same one I posted about earlier.

View attachment 1506940

It’s in Danish, and it’s very old. It is his Danish Scriptures. It has a lot of his hand writing, as well as Danish shorthand I am currently trying to translate.

If there’s one thing that excites me, it’s a family history mystery of what is written in his shorthand writing.

As I said before, I love family history.

Jared
That is a great thing to find!

Back
Top Bottom