Any fellow rock hunters?

All my favorites are just "normal rocks"
I do go look for rocks sometimes, while on hikes and stuff, and at the beach, but I don't usualy like the shiny ones. I have a speckled one I call peanut rock, because it vaguely reminds me of a peanut. (You would be underwhelmed by a photo)
Would still love to see anyways! :D

Get me some closeups. They both look like they're full of fossils. Also if you can say generally where you found them, I might be able to track them to a specific bed. Where's our aspiring palentologist? Paging @Shabby Chic-Hens
I'll try getting some closer pictures tomorrow. I'm not sure what the river is called where I found them, but I think it's somewhere near the Sugarloaf area heading toward New Hampshire, but I'm not sure.
All those tiny holes are from gasses in the molten rock offgassing at the surface and cooling. super common with volcanism, but equally common with foundries. Any old steel mills near where you found it?

The red banding is Iron oxidizing out, which again is super common in both.

HAVING SAID THAT,

It isn't a meteorite. They're almost always smooth. Ejecta from an impact CAN look like that, for a few thousand years after the impact. It weathers pretty quickly and either crumbles away or smooths out all the rough surfaces. Any craters near you or where you found it?

If I were putting a wager down, I'd lean toward slag initially. If you can narrow down where it was found, we might be able to really nail it.
The holes is often why I've gone back to it not being valuable. From what I've studied, the holes mean it had access to air, where a meteorite wouldn't. I don't think I have any steel mills around where I found it, and if there ever was, they've been out of business for awhile. There is a railroad near where I found it and a big mill river, but if it's from either of those, it would have had to been carried a ways (which is a possibility).

There's some very small ponds in the middle of the woods in that area (one dries up a lot during the summer). I doubt that they're craters though, as they might be runoff from the underground lake that we live on.

After what @LilFinnGirl pointed out and what I found online, I'm leaning toward slag too. (I found it just outside of my neighborhood in the woods on some trails.)

20240522_181907.jpg

All my rocks.

View attachment 3840833

All my favorites. In order of favorites. 1st is peanut rock.
Put a magnet on space looking rock. See if it sticks. And is it heavy for it's size?

THAT looks like a piece of meteorite. Not saying it is, but that's the kind of thing yo'ure looking for.

Back
Top Bottom