any good books, mags etc.. on chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninny, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    so anybody have any good books or mags suggestions for reading up on chickens?

i love hobby farms mags!!!

any other good ones out there?

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    backyard poultry.. would be good one.. and I receive Countryside its more of a homesteading mag but still has chicken stuff from time to time I really enjoy it..

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Hobby Farm is the bomb! [​IMG] Love the mag and the books they publish. Storey's also has some good books on raising chickens.

4. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    were do you get backyard pourtly mag at?

5. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I've checked out "Keep Chickens" about a thousand times from the library, even though I've read it cover to cover. It's fun and talks about urban/small backyard flocks. By Barbara Kilarski.

If you'd like some crazy English humor, try "Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance"...the first half of the book had me in fits of laughter. He's into rescuing worn-out layers from egg farms. By Martin Gurdon? I should add, this is more of a memoir.

I also have in front of me "Keeping Chickens" by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis...nice photographs. It's done in the UK.

There's another one I can't remember...will post later.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    "Living with Chickens" by Jay Rossier. Good info on all aspects with nice photos, but be careful if you're queasy about butchering.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We're subscribed to Mother Earth News, Backyard Poultry & Hobby Farms. You can order any of them on-line.

I just started my "chicken library" which now contains Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, The Chicken Health Handbook (both by Gail Damerow), and Chickens in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide by Rick Luttmann.

Dawn

8. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Quote:have read this i love it!!

9. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    In my opinion, Backyard Poultry magazine, is the best hands down. It has beautiful, color pictures, and lots of helpful, educational articles, that will quickly bring you up to speed on raising a backyard flock. You can subscribe, I believe, by visiting their website.

Hobby Farms is great too, but it has a much broader focus (farming/livestock/gardening).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Poultry Press...a newspaper

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by