Any good coops to buy?

bbarstow

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
We are getting chickens and Im in the middle of a coop dilemma. Some of the box stores sell coops but the reviews online are not good. That and they seem to run small and cheaply made. We are getting 4 RIRs. Most pre made storage barn companies want 700-1300 for a coop. Just seeing if anyone recommends a coop to buy or should we build one?

I vote build one! I had the same thoughts when I was looking. I looked at a lot of ideas, and built my own!

Before I got my chickens I bought a ~$400 coop, thinking it would be the "middle of the road" quality, not too cheap or expensive but decent. Turned out it was made of less durable materials than I expected and too small (it said 4-6 chickens but think 4 bantams at most, or 2-3 regular chickens). It probably won't last more than 2-3 years (in NY). My husband actually was the one to encourage the much more expensive Amish made 4'x6' coop which we love (and so do our 6 chickens.) Considering the life span of chickens, it will surely last 10+ years - it's solid! If you want more info, PM me. We are handy but I didn't want to deal with the time it takes to design and build a coop, and knowing what I'd want it to look like and built with thought and care, I probably wouldn't have saved that much more $- time and energy being an issue also. Kudos to people who build their own coops!!

I have an idea of building an Off ground coop and building a run around it. Just a thought i had. I have a coop already but, we Would need to make space for it. The reason for an Off ground coop is because its better for cleaning and a little more protection from predators

We appreciate the input! The box store coops are out, they all look like the same cheap material and company. Meep- the Amish made ones do seem like castles and probably 10xs better than we can make one its just the initial cost. However, like you mentioned they do live awhile so I'm sure it's worth it.

Check Craig's list. I found a contractor that builds them on the side. Because he gets a discount on his product, the price I paid was cheaper than building it myself.

Back
Top Bottom