Any guesses as to what she is?

Jemezhens

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2015
Jemez Springs, NM
Hi there, this is Lovey, She arrived yesterday from MPC/Meyer Hatchery, Hatch day was 5/2. She is the only chick that I didn't specify the breed. I needed to round out my minium so I chose 1 chick from the rare breed assortment (know that was sill, now I'm just going to go crazy) She is the same size and shape as the golden cukoo marans and same slate leg color but her legs are smooth. I cant see any comb. Whats really throwing me is the while white wing feathers. Thoughts? Notions? Ideas?

I have a pair of them, they can be flighty and I often forget I have them, they are good rangers. They are pretty decent layers too.

Thank you, if she is she would be my second enigma.I had a golden campine, Phyllis, that I was forever wondering about: her behavior was neither male nor female on any given week. She had long spurs, crowed occasionally, laid eggs, tended to the broody hens and very often I had to go and find her out side of the coop. I have my fingers crossed that it is such a spunky breed. Other than 2 polish that I have coming next week, my new flock has a lot of heavy,docile breeds. :)

:( little Lovey died today at 1 week old. I'm certain you were correct with her breed, her crest fluff was getting more pronounced and her long white wing feathers were starting to dip down. Maybe you can help me with why, she and 2 other chicks have gotten pastey butt throughout the week but have kept it clean. Heat is on a thermostat,and I have 3 separate thermometers. the temp has not dipped below 92 or gone above 94. When I left for work this am everyone was happy with nice fluffy bottoms. She was clearly pasted over this evening. The only thing I've done differently with this batch was use pine shavings bedding. I'm so sad to loose her. :(

Too much heat can cause pasty butt, lower the heat to 85-90, adding greens can help, I like dandelion greens or spinach, as well as sod clumps. Other things like raw corn meal and ground up rolled oats are other things I've read about. Sometimes there's something wrong with a chick and no matter what you do they won't survive and will have chronic pasty butt. Sorry you lost your little one. Hopefully the rest do better.

I've always used pine shaving, I haven't had any troubles from them, don't use cedar. I have lost chicks at about the one week mark and always assume something was wrong with them internally, that something wasn't formed right. I haven't lost any after that age. They seem to thrive after the first week. If it's warm enough, get them outside on some grass, that can help keep their guts moving correctly and build immunity. It can be nerve racking to lose one.

Back
Top Bottom