Any Ham Operators in here?

Bill in Hamlet

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 14, 2009
Hamlet,NC
My other hobbies include Ham radio (KI4GSV) and Sailing.
Did I mention Sailing?

Fair Winds,

Bill

Edit; Oooop's maybe I should have used the Search function first.

Last edited:
Does it still take as much electronic knowledge as it did 40 years ago to get a ham lic. My Dad was a ham. He built his own 60 foot tower that we stood up in our yard and he was able to talk to what they called the 4 corners (of the world). I knew how to run all the gear and use to set there and listen and was also learning code. I think it would be fun to get into but don't have the knowledge and $$$$.

The Ham Tests for a licence are in three increments. Tech, General and Extra, the Code requirment has been dropped. To get started I would advise you to get the ARRL book for your first Tech ticket at

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?category=Licensing+and+Upgrading!+Manuals,+software+and+more...&words=

Another resource for information is;

http://www.hello-radio.org/

Purchasing a radio is easy too. Try Ebay or Craigs list. Many radios to be found for under $100.00 and last but not least you can down load a program called Echolink "FREE" (licence Required) and use your computer to access other ham operators radios and talk around the world. It is a great hobby and has given me many years of enjoyment. But, first you will have to take the first step and get your first licence.

Wish you the best of luck and hope to hear you on the air. I hope this was helpful....

73 and Fair Winds,

Bill KI4GSV

Last edited:
I was first licensed about 15 years ago. Upgraded to Advanced in '98. Passed the written exam for Extra back then, but couldn't crack 20 wpm.

I've fiddled with satellite work, packet, APRS, and foxhunting, among other things. My son, KE5RJJ has launched high altitude helium balloons with cameras and APRS transmitters to 100,000 ft. Fun stuff.

Mac, KB9HV

Quote:
Thank you Bill. Yes I believe the first license use to be a novice and that was for code only. I just remembered dads very first antanna was what I believe was called a die pole. It was wire of specific length hung horizontal across the yard. Each leg was for a different band, the one I seem to remember is 2 meter.
My first memory of radio communications was when dad bought 2 heathkit tube type "CB" radio kits. We had one in the house and one in the car. Then when we got a 3rd dad gave one of the first ones to a neighbor so he had somebody to talk to. We lived in a small town and nobody else had radio yet.

Back
Top Bottom