Any hatcheries that will let you order less than 10?

I want 3 bantams nothing else, and mypetchicken.com says i need 6 big chickens or 9 bantams because of where I live and I wanted to see about my grandparents house and they said 6 bantams. I cant win!

meyer hatchery has a min. order of 3 but I think you pay big time on shpping cost with that number of birds.....I just ordered 16 from them....

Yep, I checked them & it's like $40 to ship 3. Plus I think they charge for extra heat, etc. So I ended up checking with a local farmer who we bought some of our other birds from. I forgot that he had bantmas. I'd prefer cochins but he only spangled but maybe one day. :)

I think you're best off looking up local breeders for your banties, if all you want is two

Yep, I checked all of the hatcheries recommended & nothing that didn't require a high shipping fee. I ended up calling a local farmer who we bought some of our other chickens from. I remembered he had bantams & said he should be hatching some in 30 days! So a bit of a wait but that's ok.

There will be a minimum you can order based on the state you live in, it would be illegal for a place to sell you any less. For example, Maine's limit is six. If you want to get less, get your birds from local breeders or the feed store. Our feed store does the most common breeds, and they have a sheet for rare breeds that others can sign up for until you hit the minimum order. The other thing is you can go to your state thread and ask if anyone else is interested in ordering a few chicks of your breed together with yours for shipping purposes.

There will be a minimum you can order based on the state you live in, it would be illegal for a place to sell you any less. For example, Maine's limit is six. If you want to get less, get your birds from local breeders or the feed store. Our feed store does the most common breeds, and they have a sheet for rare breeds that others can sign up for until you hit the minimum order. The other thing is you can go to your state thread and ask if anyone else is interested in ordering a few chicks of your breed together with yours for shipping purposes.

This is actually a great idea! If it ends up not working out with the local farmer this will probably be the route I go. My hubby thought perhaps we could sell them but I'd rather know ahead of time if we had buyers lined up. Thank you!

No problem
wink.png

It's much better for the chicks surviving the trip if there's more than 10. Three can't keep eachother stay warm, so you risk some deaths. That is why most hatcheries won't ship 3 or so during the winter.

My way of solving that was to order the ones I wanted, and 7 or so more female popular breed chicks , they are easy to rehome or sell. I've done that twice with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom