1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any help or tips would be great!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OkieLady, Mar 21, 2013.

1. OkieLady

OkieLady New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    claremore, Oklahoma
    HELLLLPPP!!! [​IMG]
    so i am brand new to having chickens. i am actually getting my first two on monday [​IMG], i think they are silver laced wyandotte 6month olds.I have no idea how much to feed them or how often. and i would love to have some advice on making your own feed vs. just buying feed! anyway any advice would be great =)

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] I have been feeding mine 20% layer feed 24/7

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC and I feed mine free choice layer pellets, and oyster shell. I throw out scratch grain in the evening when collecting eggs for the next morning. Or fill up the drop feeder with scratch if I am going to be away for a day or two.

Have Fun with your Girls.

4. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I give mine laying crumbles (bought at the feed store) and scraps from our kitchen . I scrap any food of plates, cooking waste, etc into a bucket and bring it out in the morning. They love it! They are especially fond of pasta and ham. I also give them scratch as a treat when it's cold.

5. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Oh, and about growing food for them - I'm going to try this this year. I am planting alfalfa, oats, millet, chickweed and purslane for the chickens to try.

6. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I have two feeders. I put layer feed in one and chick start and grow in the other. Some of my hens prefer the layer others eat only the starter. I offer the start and grow because of its higher protein content and the layer for the calcium. I also have a little hog feeder I put oyster shell in. I don't bother with grit since I live in southern AZ and that's all we have here is dirt and rocks and my hens do just fine! Good luck with your girls! You are about to experience the best addiction of your life. Those two will turn into ten before the year is up! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by