any help would be grate pics included my chicken has lost feathers....

skittle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
uk-south west
ok so my hen(pepper) has lost her beard and looks like a turky i did post this in behaviors but i guess it was the wrong place

she started laying a good month or 2 ago and started looseing her feathers on her face now im still getting eggs from her and she seems bright enoth but ...y has she lost her feathers
she shows no sign of being ill she eats and drinks lays i havent knoticed her scratching on her face nor the other hens peking at her and the other havent got this problem ...i dont understand whats wrong however i do need advice on the matter as its been 3 weeks and im starting to get WORRYED
i currently have 6 chikens in a tempory 6 by 9 run which get let out evey day at 3pm till thay go to bed (hence i hardly have ne grass left )
here is a few pics (sorry there a lil blured)
pip03.jpg

pip01.jpg

pip02.jpg

bit of eveything thay get mixed corn and pellets in morn sometimes i put some spice in 1 hoper plain in other (so thay can choose) but thats only 2-4 times a month thay get measured ammounts and only eat what i give them thay never over eat and the ammount i give them atm seem just right ( always a lil left in the hopper but not enoth to attract virmin)
in the evenings thay get greens and get to eat the grass out of the garden till thay turn in for bed thay have grit out of choice to eat and there eggs are fine so iv not given oyster shell for a bit .

i keep there house clean and mite free as best i can i use Eradicate Powder and Poultry Shield for the house and Diatomaceous when i do the house +thay are all Natural and thay only had there new house for about 8 months

also shes an EE i think
and shes the only one that this has happend to

and did your salmon faverolles recover after the dusting?

Last edited:
after a bit of time and effort its seems my problem was not a problem after all ....and iv got to apoligize to my hubby 2...

i looked at this post http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7974113 and ill keep an eye on my chuk
and i found this artical http://www.thenewgreenblog.com/tag/chickens/
Take
a peek at the old, bare neck with the feather quills just starting to peek out and the new fuzzy neck. Doesn’t she look hilariously in her attempt at dignity?

chuk-moult.jpg

thats what my girl looked like as she was loosing feather i hope its just moulting i will keep an eye on her tho due to the other post im less worryed now thanx for all the info and supportbit of a strange way to moult if you ask me !

p.s it might be worth moving this to Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom