Any hikers out there?

Hi Trent, the last 3 are in Glencoe, called buchaille etive mor and the sisters. the main road north runs right through the base of that valley, a stunning drive but in the summer it's tourist central!

we have very strict laws here on what you can carry and why. I've copied and pasted this directly from the police website:

'It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).
A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se (because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence.
Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place (screwdriver, can opener).
The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).
The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.'

So basically a smallish useful knife is be OK to take with you but you need to be prepared to prove why you have it, which is fine, there is absolutely no reason why you'd need a machete or a flick knife in the Scottish wilderness. Our forests are mainly pine inhabited by squirrels, not dense jungles full of man eating crocodiles.

Ice axes etc are the same, carry one though the centre of town on a Saturday night and you'll pretty quickly find yourself up in court, but halfway up a mountain in the snow and no one is going to bat an eyelid.

Yeah, that makes sense
Hi Trent, the last 3 are in Glencoe, called buchaille etive mor and the sisters. the main road north runs right through the base of that valley, a stunning drive but in the summer it's tourist central!

we have very strict laws here on what you can carry and why. I've copied and pasted this directly from the police website:

'It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).
A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se (because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence.
Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place (screwdriver, can opener).
The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).
The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.'

So basically a smallish useful knife is be OK to take with you but you need to be prepared to prove why you have it, which is fine, there is absolutely no reason why you'd need a machete or a flick knife in the Scottish wilderness. Our forests are mainly pine inhabited by squirrels, not dense jungles full of man eating crocodiles.

Ice axes etc are the same, carry one though the centre of town on a Saturday night and you'll pretty quickly find yourself up in court, but halfway up a mountain in the snow and no one is going to bat an eyelid.
Thanks for the info - looks like it would be a tourist trap for sure :)

Makes sense regarding carrying items - looks like they give leeway for responsible use. I think its something similar over here, but am not sure.

do you mean where there are no tracks Quercus? yeah, sure. In Scotland we have the 'right to roam' law, basically there are no trespass laws and you can go anywhere you like as long as you dont intend to cause harm or damage.
Around here we have federal and state parks that you can hike around on. Other then that, if you don't know the land owner, you could be arrested for trespassing. I would say, the majority of my hiking have been on state land. The state land also has regulations on what you can and can not do. One example, the Catskill mountains, you can't camp above 3500' of within 120 - 150' of the trail.
I would say, close to all the mountain tops have trails leading to them. On a few, you have what we call "bush whack" to them. We also do it the old fashion way, compass, map, altimeter and luck.... On the top of these mountains, there is a canister that you have to find and sign in to say you made it. It's a 4" dia x 10 - 12" tall pipe that is attached to a tree.
We have bears, coyote, and depending who you talk with mountain lions. There have been times, when I have followed bear tracks off the side of very rocky/ledges side of a mountain. They generally know the best way down.

Mamma bear and a cub - Camping on Big Pond 9/2014

Enjoy your day.
Kaj

edit: grammar?

Last edited:
Around here we have federal and state parks that you can hike around on. Other then that, if you don't know the land owner, you could be arrested for trespassing. I would say, the majority of my hiking have been on state land. The state land also has regulations on what you can and can not do. One example, the Catskill mountains, you can't camp above 3500' of within 120 - 150' of the trail.
I would say, close to all the mountain tops have trails leading to them. On a few, you have what we call "bush whack" to them. We also do it the old fashion way, compass, map, altimeter and luck.... On the top of these mountains, there is a canister that you have to find and sign in to say you made it. It's a 4" dia x 10 - 12" tall pipe that is attached to a tree.
We have bears, coyote, and depending who you talk with mountain lions. There have been times, when I have followed bear tracks off the side of very rocky/ledges side of a mountain. They generally know the best way down.

Mamma bear and a cub - Camping on Big Pond 9/2014

Enjoy your day.
Kaj

edit: grammar?
I just took a quick Google Earth tour of your area - nice country down that way. Looks a lot like New Brunswick to me. Are there many apple trees? I worked in Sussex, NB for a couple of years, and one thing I used to love about it was all the apple trees. Over here if you wanna munch on wild edibles you're pretty much stuck eating caribou moss and washing it down with Labrador tea - lol

We never really explored NB, just mostly drove though to get to PEI or NS. One time heading back from NS, dog tired, I thought we were going to be camping along the road and out of n where...... A motel. Hot food, pool, a bed.... We stayed a extra night there. There was a little league event going on and all the motels/hotels were booked. One time we did stop a few times to check out the Bay of Fundy from both the NS and NB shores.

Hoping for dry weather to do some hiking this weekend. We have had rain for the last 3 days.

Enjoy the day

Kaj

Back
Top Bottom