• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Silly Indie

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
I hope there’s some horse people on here that are more experienced than me so I can get some answers to a couple questions I have. Background information: I’m a sophomore in high school, I’ve been riding all my life. I’ve ridden many horses from green broke ponies (that didn’t end well I was 5 lol) to super sensitive horses, ones that don’t have brakes, good one, not so good ones. I wouldn’t call myself experienced as I still have a lot to learn but I’d probably say I’m an intermediate or advanced intermediate. My current horse is 31, yes 31 and still sound as a bell and capable of being ridden, he hasn’t really shown his age until the past year when he started to slow down a bit and no longer required a lunging session before rides. It’s starting to hit me that he’s not going to be around forever and it’s sent me longing and saving up for a step up horse, Doc is super easy and I’m starting to want to get more competitive in shows not just lope through the barrel pattern and always come out with a really slow time (I don’t want to push Doc too hard because of his age) I’ve also been wanting to get into ranch sorting and no way will I put Doc’s elderly joints through the rapid and random twists and turns required for that event same goes for barrel racing which is why I’ve not done it for a while. I feel like although I still enjoy trail riding with him I want something younger that can kinda give me more of a challenge and has potential to do what I enjoy doing. I’m not officially on the market for a horse because I haven’t really expressed my ideas/ intentions to my parents yet. I know what I’m looking for in a horse, breed wise, conformation, temperament, disciplines/potential for those disciplines etc.
Now to the questions: horse prices have skyrocketed in the last 18 months-2 years like many other things so finding a horse that meets my criteria in my price range is quite hard and when I do find said horse they’re usually snapped up before I can say “perfect”, I’ve even looked into getting something really young, <6 months which leads me to the main question… someone I know has a lovely colt that will soon be weaned and offered for sale without a price that is within my range, he has an incredible pedigree with many horses I admire in it, I’ve met both the sire and dam and they are both really nice horses, great minds, conformation, athletic ability and all that good stuff. Not to mention this colt is already halter broke, can tie, trailers, and is good for his feet being done. So would it be a horrible idea to get something so young when I’d be graduating in two years? I’ve read on a different forum that it can be done but I’m not sure. My mom is very experienced with horses and has raised two foals, both horses turned out great and she would help me if I get stuck, I’ve also worked with untouched Shetland foals in the past with my friend. I’d likely have to quit doing sports because I’d be too busy training him (if I were to get him) which would suck but would hopefully be worth it. My mom has said that if I weren’t graduating is two years she wouldn’t hesitate to buy him but in this situation she’d probably be a little hesitant. After graduation he’d probably be about 2 or 3 (can’t remember his birthday but probably leaning more towards 3) so right about the time I’d be starting him. I could work with him throughout the entire summer and when school starts again I could either A) work with him on my off time between school and likely work. Or B) send him to some family friends who raise, train and show Ranch sorting horses, for training (I like the way they start their youngsters, they end up really really nicely broke). The latter is probably what I’d do. But I’m still a little worried about life after high school with a young horse so I came here for some more opinions. My mind is open to all thoughts and ideas I’m just trying to figure out a way to make my dreams come true. Also sorry for the crazy long post..

I hope there’s some horse people on here that are more experienced than me so I can get some answers to a couple questions I have. Background information: I’m a sophomore in high school, I’ve been riding all my life. I’ve ridden many horses from green broke ponies (that didn’t end well I was 5 lol) to super sensitive horses, ones that don’t have brakes, good one, not so good ones. I wouldn’t call myself experienced as I still have a lot to learn but I’d probably say I’m an intermediate or advanced intermediate. My current horse is 31, yes 31 and still sound as a bell and capable of being ridden, he hasn’t really shown his age until the past year when he started to slow down a bit and no longer required a lunging session before rides. It’s starting to hit me that he’s not going to be around forever and it’s sent me longing and saving up for a step up horse, Doc is super easy and I’m starting to want to get more competitive in shows not just lope through the barrel pattern and always come out with a really slow time (I don’t want to push Doc too hard because of his age) I’ve also been wanting to get into ranch sorting and no way will I put Doc’s elderly joints through the rapid and random twists and turns required for that event same goes for barrel racing which is why I’ve not done it for a while. I feel like although I still enjoy trail riding with him I want something younger that can kinda give me more of a challenge and has potential to do what I enjoy doing. I’m not officially on the market for a horse because I haven’t really expressed my ideas/ intentions to my parents yet. I know what I’m looking for in a horse, breed wise, conformation, temperament, disciplines/potential for those disciplines etc.
Now to the questions: horse prices have skyrocketed in the last 18 months-2 years like many other things so finding a horse that meets my criteria in my price range is quite hard and when I do find said horse they’re usually snapped up before I can say “perfect”, I’ve even looked into getting something really young, <6 months which leads me to the main question… someone I know has a lovely colt that will soon be weaned and offered for sale without a price that is within my range, he has an incredible pedigree with many horses I admire in it, I’ve met both the sire and dam and they are both really nice horses, great minds, conformation, athletic ability and all that good stuff. Not to mention this colt is already halter broke, can tie, trailers, and is good for his feet being done. So would it be a horrible idea to get something so young when I’d be graduating in two years? I’ve read on a different forum that it can be done but I’m not sure. My mom is very experienced with horses and has raised two foals, both horses turned out great and she would help me if I get stuck, I’ve also worked with untouched Shetland foals in the past with my friend. I’d likely have to quit doing sports because I’d be too busy training him (if I were to get him) which would suck but would hopefully be worth it. My mom has said that if I weren’t graduating is two years she wouldn’t hesitate to buy him but in this situation she’d probably be a little hesitant. After graduation he’d probably be about 2 or 3 (can’t remember his birthday but probably leaning more towards 3) so right about the time I’d be starting him. I could work with him throughout the entire summer and when school starts again I could either A) work with him on my off time between school and likely work. Or B) send him to some family friends who raise, train and show Ranch sorting horses, for training (I like the way they start their youngsters, they end up really really nicely broke). The latter is probably what I’d do. But I’m still a little worried about life after high school with a young horse so I came here for some more opinions. My mind is open to all thoughts and ideas I’m just trying to figure out a way to make my dreams come true. Also sorry for the crazy long post..
I think getting something youngs a good choice, but do what you think you should do, im not amazing with horses though.

I would pass. What are your goals post high school? You will have 2 years of time and money invested in him before you can start riding him. If you have to turn around and sell him if you move away for college, you've invested a lot into him. He will have 9-12 months under saddle. Well started but definitely not finished. If you can leave him with your parents during college and only work him summers, no harm. He will retain most of what he has learned and just continue to grow and mature but you will still be spending more money. A change of plans 4-5-6 years down the road might have a dramatic impact on your ability to own and enjoy horses. Now you have to sell him but you've spent thousands of dollars to keep him. Makes it even harder.
If you found a similar yearling, I would go for it. You will have roughly 2 years on him by graduation. If you found a retired 20 year old roping horse, I would go for it. He will teach you a lot. Whatever you do, continue to learn. Take lessons. Get a better seat. Attend and audit clinics. Work on feel and body language. Read and watch videos. Even the bad ones to learn what not to do.
I kept my 9 year old mare through 5 years of school out of state and in-state. My parents had land and were willing to foot the bill for her upkeep. If it had been my responsibility, I could of never afforded it only working summers. I did have her for another 25 years.
He won't be the only one. He could mature into a super horse but it's hard for even the most experienced horseman to buy weanlings and know what they will end up with.

Plans after high school are to go to Oregon State University, which is only about an hour away from home, and study to become a veterinarian. Having him stay at my parents and working with him during summer and any other holiday breaks is also a good idea. I’m really doing my homework and weighing the pros and cons of the situation before making any rash decisions.

Now you're mapping out a 10 year window. You can count on staying instate for an undergraduate degree but if you aspire to get into vet school, you go wherever you get accepted. You should travel, work on an elephant reserve in Africa, learn how to trim, work a racetrack, marine mammal rehabilitation,... something to give you a leg up on other applicants. Everyone rides along with the local large animal vet and volunteers at the humane society, you have to do field experience that stands out and makes you "that girl".
Unless you plan on selling him when you graduate, he is going to do more sitting around in the prime of his life.

You know, you can take your horse to college with you. I say go for it. If not now, then when? There's never a good time to do anything with your life, and if you always wait until the "right" time, it will be too late.

Have you had any experience in a Veterinary clinic/hospital setting? If not, start now. It will help you make sure that is the path you really want to take.

Now you're mapping out a 10 year window. You can count on staying instate for an undergraduate degree but if you aspire to get into vet school, you go wherever you get accepted. You should travel, work on an elephant reserve in Africa, learn how to trim, work a racetrack, marine mammal rehabilitation,... something to give you a leg up on other applicants. Everyone rides along with the local large animal vet and volunteers at the humane society, you have to do field experience that stands out and makes you "that girl".
Unless you plan on selling him when you graduate, he is going to do more sitting around in the prime of his life.
All very good points and thanks for the tips on getting accepted into vet school. I wanna do right by the colt if I get him, I’m probably going to talk to my parents and get their opinions as well as the breeder. If I were to go through with this and end up in an out of state college I’d probably try to bring him with me so I could continue his training, but I dunno.

You know, you can take your horse to college with you. I say go for it. If not now, then when? There's never a good time to do anything with your life, and if you always wait until the "right" time, it will be too late.

Have you had any experience in a Veterinary clinic/hospital setting? If not, start now. It will help you make sure that is the path you really want to take.
I’ve shadowed the vet we take our animals to, I’ve so far only had one incident where I almost passed out (knock on wood). That is true that there is no “right time” hence why I’m trying to cram my head full of as much information and making plans for different scenarios that may arise. If it’s meant to be then it’ll be I guess

Instead of a weanling, did you ever think about getting a 3 or 4 year-old OTTB?

Now is a good time to buy, in spite of the general horse market being so expensive, since the racing season is ending and trainers are selling their slow horses very reasonably.

The right horse can be trained for speed events, you've ridden green horses before so you can start riding one like this right away, and this gives you two years of training the horse to decide whether you want to make this horse your own and try to take it to college with you, or to sell it, probably for way more than you bought it for, due to the training you put on it. If you sell, it could possibly pay a lot of your tuition, or you could take it with you to college, keep up with it's training, and have a long-term competition horse.

Instead of a weanling, did you ever think about getting a 3 or 4 year-old OTTB?

Now is a good time to buy, in spite of the general horse market being so expensive, since the racing season is ending and trainers are selling their slow horses very reasonably.

The right horse can be trained for speed events, you've ridden green horses before so you can start riding one like this right away, and this gives you two years of training the horse to decide whether you want to make this horse your own and try to take it to college with you, or to sell it, probably for way more than you bought it for, due to the training you put on it. If you sell, it could possibly pay a lot of your tuition, or you could take it with you to college, keep up with it's training, and have a long-term competition horse.
That’s not a bad idea, I never even thought of that! I’ll look into that more.

Back
Top Bottom