1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea what breed(s) my roo is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aacre, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had this guy for 3.5 years now. I love him to pieces, but some days, I sit and wonder what the heck he has in him. I'm pretty certain he is a mixed mutt, but is there any way to tell what he's got in him? I'm expecting some chicks from him and SLW hens and also a couple with my BSL hen, so this makes me even more curious as to what he is! The only thing I know is that he is a bantam and also, his feet are normally slightly feathered (I have a hen that likes to pick feathers- haven't discovered the culprit yet). Thanks!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Looks like a crossbred. Maybe the start of a project, he looks like maybe the start of a Crele project.

3. x2

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a pretty mix. Of what, that's the kicker! He's obviously got some barring somewhere back there, but as to the other color and the leg feathering, who knows.

He should throw half barred chicks, so you may have some that look a lot like Dominiques from your slw hen--rose comb and black barred. With those hen breeds, you'll probably get a lot of basically black birds, with some red or silver leakage, and half will be barred. No sex linkage to this cross.

I don't think he's crele--my understanding is crele is barring on top of duckwing, and he's not duckwing. Just a pretty mix. I have a similar calico hen, she's not as flashy cause she's not a boy, but I thinks she's pretty....

[​IMG]

5. Aacre

Thank you everyone! I thought I could see some Barred too. I didn't even think of Crele project. I'm excited to see the babies!! I wonder what kind of baby he will produce with my black sex link- if her eggs should hatch.. It's all a mystery, but it's kind of fun![​IMG]

6. Aacre

She is pretty! I'd love it if I ended up with a little hen looking like this one! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by