Any idea what is wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Radioactive Egg, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Radioactive Egg

Radioactive Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi there,
    One of my non-laying (she used to) chickens hasn't been looking that well recently. Poppy, the chicken, is about 2 years old, and a Mount Isa. Here are the symptoms:
    Uninterested in food or drink
    Sloppy droppings
    Stands still with her eyes closed, and bunched up in a ball
    Moves slowly
    If anyone has anything I could treat her with or the name of the sickness she has, please reply!!!!
    Thanks, Radioactive Egg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She possibly could be suffering from worms or coccidiosis, but a reproductive issue such as egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying may also be her problem since she is not laying eggs anymore. Corid (amprollium) is the treatment for coccidiosis which is more common in young chicks under 20 weeks, but still can be a problem in older chickens sometimes. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, followed by giving vitamins and probiotics for several days. I would first worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer 1/2 ml given by mouth, and repeat in 10 days. Here are some links to read about egg yolk peritonitis: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

and here is a link about coccidiosis: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her for lice/mites especially around the vent area. Worm her and your other birds as well.

4. Radioactive Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    To Eggcessive,
    If she has worms, will the coccidiosis treatments effect her and vice versa? Thanks for the quick replies!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid is not hard on them. But I would worm her first. She may just have worms, but coccidiosis is also possible as sick as she seems, so I would start the Corid if you have some. Either condition can really harm her. At her age worms may more likely be the culprit, but I would treat for both, since both of the wormers I listed are safe. Dawg53 is right about checking her for lice and mites since they can make chickens lethargic, and mites cause anemia and even death in extreme cases.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has it been since she last laid any eggs?

7. Radioactive Egg

Oct 13, 2014
    Perth, Western Australia
    About 8-10 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by