Any idea what kind of predator?

Gwen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Langley, Washington
Something got in yesterday and got one of our chickens. It ate everything but the wings and feet? Any idea which predator this would be?

Also, last week we found one chicken in the coop, just laying over dead. No idea what it could have died from. I hadn't noticed it acting sick before. Luckily it doesn't seem to be contagious. The chickens are about 2 years old. It was a BO.

Well, do you know how it got in? Did it take the bird out or just eat it there, inside the coop or run? I think it could be a bird of prey, because we have falcons downtown where I work, and often, you'll see just wings or feet on the sidewalk......

Sometimes, a chicken can have a heart attack or stroke....They may be fine one minute, and then dead the next. I would just maybe spend some time watching the flock, to see if you notice any symptoms. It may have just been an isolated thing....

Take care,
Sharon

It ate it inside the run. I don't think it was a flying predator because it was pretty well sheltered where we found the wings and feet. It was during the day, inside their 'run.' Their run is surrounded by deer fencing and poultry fencing and is about 3/4 of a acre, most of it is forested, so hawks don't really fly through there. We had them in a different area where hawks were getting them, so we moved them to a much more sheltered area (and larger). When the hawk got them before, which was last summer, he just killed them and didn't really eat them. This was completely devoured ex the wings and feet.

The only thing I can think of is a neighborhood cat, but I didn't think cats went after chickens.

I don't know if we have possums here. We're on Whidbey Island and we don't have as many predators as others areas on the mainland. Racoons and coyotes are our main two, unless you count flying. Then we have eagles, hawks, and owls. Wondering if an owl would have eaten everything but the wings and feet. It would make the most sense that it was an owl, ex for the daytime thing. I'll have to ask around to see if we have possums. We are completely fenced in so I personally don't see any of the predators.

Quote:
A lot of times when weasels kill they do not leave much sign they were there they kill most times and just lap up /drink the blood and leave

Back
Top Bottom