Any idea what this Roo is?

These little ones have grown exceptionally fast, but are super flighty, and seem to not have any depth perception. They miss the food when I feed them from my hand. I have not had chicks do this when I raise them instead of allowing Gamey to set and raise them. Perhaps I have developed some sort of genetic flaw? These eggs were from the Cog/Red Sexlink breedings, as were most of the others. These 3 hatched on Thanksgiving Day. Maybe it is because of the late year breeding? Who knows. The experiment continues...

I had a rooster that was 1/2 Light Brahma and 1/2 Red Sexlink. He had a hybrid comb that had an inverted back end, too. I saw a photo of the hen and she had an identical comb. I did a bit of reading and found that a common defect of the rose comb is an inverted spike and that if combined with a pea comb, can cause what they called a chalice comb. I always assumed that the hen was a single x rose comb like maybe a Brown Leghorn x Wyandotte or something similar.

That rooster could be a jerk sometimes, but he was pretty awesome from a predator protection standpoint. He stared down a Cooper's Hawk in our yard. I heard noises and went out to see him a few feet from the hawk (it was a juvenile). The hawk just looked at him and once I was out the back door, the two dominant hens in my flock came out from cover and triangulated in on him. The hawk was very confused and after about a minute flew off. So yes, there are other roos that will face off a hawk. I ended up hatching a batch of his babies and all 3 were roos--the opposite problem from your hatch! With mixed feelings I sold 2 of the babies and the roo to a nice lady that was interested in flock protection as my daughter loved one of the babies and wanted to keep him and we have close neighbors, so there can be only one.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bantam. I kinda like'em, too.

Yup, those odd combs had me worried that I had some kind of genetic flaw running, as they're so different from my other chicks. They just go insane, at times. They're so flighty, and all. I'm gettin' a lil worried, as I have 4 Roos, now, and the 2 more lil cockerels, and I believe that at least one of these lil odd comb babies is gonna be a Roo. I have a few people wanting Roos, but you can only give so many away, ya know? Roos pile up fast when you let those eggs hatch! I sure wish that I could breed them to where they wouldn't always be killing each other! I guess that's why some people fight them.

I now have the answer as to whether or not Cog passes on the blue/green egg gene. This egg was laid by this chicken, today.

That is "Sparkle", and she is from the 1st two chicks that I got from Cog. She was hatched in the beginning of June, if my notes are correct. The egg looks slightly more blue, in real life.

I knew that I liked that Rooster!

I now have the answer as to whether or not Cog passes on the blue/green egg gene. This egg was laid by this chicken, today.

That is "Sparkle", and she is from the 1st two chicks that I got from Cog. She was hatched in the beginning of June, if my notes are correct. The egg looks slightly more blue, in real life.

I knew that I liked that Rooster!
She's beautiful, and I love her name!! :)

Thank you. Her clutch mate is white with red specks and I call her "Glitter". Glitter hasn't laid an egg yet, tho. Probably soon, tho. I saw a pic of a chicken that looked like Sparkle and they said it was sparkle-colored, ergo...Sparkle! haha My Wifey and friends all laugh that a former Army EM and Officer/Marine Officer/Prison SWaT Officer names his chickens. I guess I'm not such a toughy, after all. The predators don't luagh, tho. snicker.

You can't see it from the pic, really, but her body feathers all have like little line patterns all over them. I think it's called "pencilling"? Or "Lacing"? Like a fishes bones all over the whole feather? Does that make sense?

Thank you. Her clutch mate is white with red specks and I call her "Glitter". Glitter hasn't laid an egg yet, tho. Probably soon, tho. I saw a pic of a chicken that looked like Sparkle and they said it was sparkle-colored, ergo...Sparkle! haha My Wifey and friends all laugh that a former Army EM and Officer/Marine Officer/Prison SWaT Officer names his chickens. I guess I'm not such a toughy, after all. The predators don't luagh, tho. snicker.

You can't see it from the pic, really, but her body feathers all have like little line patterns all over them. I think it's called "pencilling"? Or "Lacing"? Like a fishes bones all over the whole feather? Does that make sense?
Like this:

This is pencilling :)

A new oddity about the offspring of Cog: One of the chicks from this last clutch is crowing! He crowed 4 times yasterday, while I was petting them. They were born on Thanksgiving Day. This lil Roo is 55 days old! Is that anywhere near normal? These 3 are the ones with the weird egg in a basket looking comb, and are growing at about double the rate of my normal chicks. I don't have a clue as to the mothers of them, I have gotten so many new chickens for the "Yard Gang", that I can't keep up with who is laying what, except in special cases. I do believe that Cog was the only loose, mature Roo, at the time. Anyone heard of a Cockerel crowing at 55 days old?

A new oddity about the offspring of Cog: One of the chicks from this last clutch is crowing! He crowed 4 times yasterday, while I was petting them. They were born on Thanksgiving Day. This lil Roo is 55 days old! Is that anywhere near normal? These 3 are the ones with the weird egg in a basket looking comb, and are growing at about double the rate of my normal chicks. I don't have a clue as to the mothers of them, I have gotten so many new chickens for the "Yard Gang", that I can't keep up with who is laying what, except in special cases. I do believe that Cog was the only loose, mature Roo, at the time. Anyone heard of a Cockerel crowing at 55 days old?
I've had a two week old chick crow, so it can happen. It's not average, but it is not abnormal either.

Back
Top Bottom