Any idea what was wrong with the chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 17, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Hubby had to put a little Polish chick down last night i knew he wasn't going to make it til morning. I posted about him being half the size of the others and otherwise underdeveloped sort- of looking before.

I found him flopped over on his back from the others walking over him and i brought him in the house to nurse him. i took them off medicated feed a while back at 3 weeks of age so i figured some molasses water wouldn't HURT him, and i sprinkled some medicated food where i had him( for a very short time)

He felt cold to the touch( hes the one that had all his down gone off the back and underside of him, and as i inspected him 5 days ago i thought his butt and abdomen looked deformed almost? like... un symmetrical if that makes sense?

Day before yesterday i noticed he looked wobbly as he tried to sit still.. i lost another chick i had gotten to a feed store( also really small) and he died after, so it caught my attention and i figured he didn't look good but he WAS moving around when jarred by other chicks, etc.

last night He couldn't hold his head up, he had fight in one leg and barely any in the other, where there was a very hard lump off to the right of the bottom of his keel( think tot he right of where the umbilical cord was) and that leg sort of felt stiff but the leg itself was ok.

Also he was gasping and barely tweeting and i could only get him to even swallow water if i dunked his beak into the water mixture up to his nostrils and then turned him backwards, which i didn't want to do but a few times. When i laid him down and watched his un even breathing water would come back up and out through his nostrils and mouth.

I am puzzled as to what happened.. He looked skinny along his keel, almost alarmingly so.. but his butt end that i noticed was weird and almost protruding and squishy and then the hard thing in conjunction has me thinking that something internal was wrong in his formation.

All of the other chicks look good , act good, etc so far.

edited to add: hubby put him down because he was barely breathing.. i couldnt let him "ride it out".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by