Any idea what's wrong with this chick?

PriceFamilyFarms

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Henderson, NC
This chick hatched yesterday. she just lays on her side. I've tried to help her get upright and both her legs move around fine. she just cant stand or walk...

54629_baby_chicks_6410_025.jpg

I am not sure what is under the chick other than the shavings but I think they are supposed to be on something more grippy so their legs hold them.. I have also been told not to put shavings down until after the chick is over 3 days and knows what its food is. They mistake the shavings for feed and it can cause problems in the digestive tract.

Read this and try it. The sooner it is done the better the outcome. Remove the shavings and cover the floor with paper towels or other absorbent, but non stick material. I like the puffy vinyl shelf liner. It gives them good traction and prevents slipping.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Also there is a post on here somewhere about putting the chick in a glass with a narrow bottom to force the legs into the down position. It is also supposed to help strengthen the legs because they push against the bottom trying to get out. make sure to put paper towel in the bottom of the glass for traction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
it's a plastic storage tote but the bottom is coated with non-slip paint...it's kinda like sand paper but more permanent. I'm putting her on something else now and doing the band-aid treatment

The band aid treatment works and fast! Within 48 hours, you couldn't tell which chick was the spraddle leg
smile.png

Just watch....the other chicks (if any) may want to peck at the band aid. We separated from the others and just gave it one buddy.

band-aid is on and holding - that was tricky doing it by myself..lol he/she is in a separate brooder with a mirror and small stuffed puppy. and cabinet lining on the floor

I had to wrap the chick tightly in a washcloth with the feet hanging out to do it by myself. I should have included that tip! I sure hope it works.
fl.gif

Quote:
Great idea! I was struggling...little chick was struggling, band aid was getting stuck all over the place. I was covered with sweat by the time it was all over with.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom