Any idea when she'll lay?

MamaBelle5

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
Pennsylvania
She is supposedly a Buff Brahma and the lady I got her from said she was laying. We've had her for about 2 weeks and no eggs yet (this is only the second day I've let them free range, so I know she isn't laying them anywhere). I think the woman may have been confused about her laying and someone else was.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• PXL_20210303_203838191.jpg
    PXL_20210303_203838191.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210303_203804509.jpg
    PXL_20210303_203804509.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 10
Not unusual for a bird to take a break in her laying cycle after coming to a new home, but to me she looks a bit immature. Bottom line is she will lay - eventually.
Thank you for confirming what I thought. She has such a little comb but it looks awfully pale to me, and she seems young, so I didn't think she was quite there yet but I am extremely unfamiliar with the breed. Thanks again!

She's a little skittish, I'm sure I could but I don't want to stress her out. She seems healthy, eating, drinking & pooping normally, so I don't think she's egg bound.
Can you grab her off the roost after dark? I just meant to check the width of them to be sure she has actually started laying. If they are closer than two fingers widths apart she hasn’t started laying yet, if they are farther apart then she probably has started laying and the move to the new place has just stressed her out a bit and she needs a little time to settle in before she restarts. In either case, time will be your solution.

Can you grab her off the roost after dark? I just meant to check the width of them to be sure she has actually started laying. If they are closer than two fingers widths apart she hasn’t started laying yet, if they are farther apart then she probably has started laying and the move to the new place has just stressed her out a bit and she needs a little time to settle in before she restarts. In either case, time will be your solution.
I can do that - thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom