Any idea?

can you post some close up photos of the eye,keep the chick separated from the others and wash your hands after handeling. Hopefully non of the others get it šŸ¤žthe chick is lucky to have you giving it a chance.

Attachments

• 7EE58D2C-2E32-4CD9-A793-876DA4436078.jpeg
    7EE58D2C-2E32-4CD9-A793-876DA4436078.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 11
  • B25E9EF8-BD78-4896-BE86-77C088C7FA2B.jpeg
    B25E9EF8-BD78-4896-BE86-77C088C7FA2B.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 323F30B4-CA67-4AD3-9B3A-DAADC6994477.jpeg
    323F30B4-CA67-4AD3-9B3A-DAADC6994477.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 8D6FCEB8-F21E-444D-81EE-6978BE0C2A0E.jpeg
    8D6FCEB8-F21E-444D-81EE-6978BE0C2A0E.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 10
She now has bubbly in her eye. šŸ˜‘
Whatā€™s the best option here in your opinion? Will he spread it to all of my other chickens even after I give him the antibiotics and get him well? Iā€™ve had these kids for 2 weeks and this is my first experience with any kind of chicken.
Did this chick come from the same place as the others?

Hard to know the cause. Where are you located in the world? Has the chick been outside/exposed to mosquitoes?

I would still lean toward respiratory disease you can try an antibiotic along with the daily flushing of the eye/applying the ointment to see if that makes a difference. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-idea.1395780/post-22913348

If they all came from the same place and have lived together, whatever this is, likely the others have been exposed. I would still keep this one separated for treatment and as mentioned in the thread - wash your hands/change clothes between handling this one and the others to help minimize spread.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Did this chick come from the same place as the others?

Hard to know the cause. Where are you located in the world? Has the chick been outside/exposed to mosquitoes?

I would still lean toward respiratory disease you can try an antibiotic along with the daily flushing of the eye/applying the ointment to see if that makes a difference. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-idea.1395780/post-22913348

If they all came from the same place and have lived together, whatever this is, likely the others have been exposed. I would still keep this one separated for treatment and as mentioned in the thread - wash your hands/change clothes between handling this one and the others to help minimize spread.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
So our little ouiser has been on antibiotics since the last time I posted 2 days I believe. Her eyes are so very swollen. I got her some vetrx and she seems to come alive when I give it to her. But her eyes are still not progressing any. I had to put her in her food yesterday and perch her on the water bowl because she couldn't see. There are lots of mosquitos out here. My son can't go outside without being demolished by them (just to give you an idea) all the chicks are from the same place. But she seems to still be fighting so we will fight with her.

So our little ouiser has been on antibiotics since the last time I posted 2 days I believe. Her eyes are so very swollen. I got her some vetrx and she seems to come alive when I give it to her. But her eyes are still not progressing any. I had to put her in her food yesterday and perch her on the water bowl because she couldn't see. There are lots of mosquitos out here. My son can't go outside without being demolished by them (just to give you an idea) all the chicks are from the same place. But she seems to still be fighting so we will fight with her.
OK Give us some updated photos of what her eyes look like now - are they scabby?

OK Give us some updated photos of what her eyes look like now - are they scabby?
B6E2AFF0-F75D-482E-AE43-D8785DC93B29.jpeg
E4AF4E0E-C557-4F0B-ABE2-97B481AD0EF3.jpeg

Those scabs make me think he's got Fowl Pox, which is a virus and usually runs it's course over a few weeks.
Hopefully you will see some improvement soon.
You may need to help him eat and drink to get through this if not able to see well.

Those scabs make me think he's got Fowl Pox, which is a virus and usually runs it's course over a few weeks.
You may need to help him eat and drink to get through this if not able to see well.
Fowl pox was my second guess. Thank you for all your help. She seem to be doing better tonight. I used a warm rag and wiped her eyes and then flushed them out again.

my girl seems to be doing sooo much better today! This is the first day in a week that she has seemed to be thriving. I think our biggest problem now is that she thinks sheā€™s supposed to get brought into the house at sunset every night. šŸ¤£ when do you think she can go back with the others safely?

Attachments

• 66D3FDAF-7781-4956-86B0-70CF88F9172A.jpeg
    66D3FDAF-7781-4956-86B0-70CF88F9172A.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 2
  • 266C2C33-BC91-4966-8D1F-5459F9A19A40.jpeg
    266C2C33-BC91-4966-8D1F-5459F9A19A40.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 2
  • 09DB5319-AA62-43C0-B870-D833C7B7D445.jpeg
    09DB5319-AA62-43C0-B870-D833C7B7D445.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 25955BBA-596E-41D1-8F95-BC1987A7D9E1.jpeg
    25955BBA-596E-41D1-8F95-BC1987A7D9E1.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 2
my girl seems to be doing sooo much better today! This is the first day in a week that she has seemed to be thriving. I think our biggest problem now is that she thinks sheā€™s supposed to get brought into the house at sunset every night. šŸ¤£ when do you think she can go back with the others safely?
She's looking better!
I would see that she's eating/drinking well on her own. You may want the scabs to heal up a bit more and wait until the eyes are not watering too.

Then start your introductions - you may need to cage her next to the others. See how the introduction goes - sometimes chicks are very accepting, but she's been separated, so they may not be welcoming - you just never know about what they will do.

She's looking better!
I would see that she's eating/drinking well on her own. You may want the scabs to heal up a bit more and wait until the eyes are not watering too.

Then start your introductions - you may need to cage her next to the others. See how the introduction goes - sometimes chicks are very accepting, but she's been separated, so they may not be welcoming - you just never know about what they will do.
Sheā€™s been next to their trough the whole time. So they seem to talk back and forth. Hopefully that will play in our favor. I have a pretty temperamental roo (heā€™s only a month old and he already has an attitude!)

Back
Top Bottom