Any ideas about my strange noise?

Major Buff Orpington

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Yesterday I wrote that one of my Maran pullets shakes her head and makes a sharp cluck, a bit like a cough or sneeze. Another bird has started doing this today. Has anyone had a similar experience? All the birds look healthy apart from this. Should I go to a vet or is there something I can buy to put in the water?

MBF

If the chicken is just sneezing, seems to me I have had some sneezing in my flock that resolved itself last year after I cleaned the coop and may have put a little apple cider vinegar in with their water. However if it seems problematic or is spreading fast amongst your chickens it might be something more serious.

Many thanks, I'll keep an eye on them and see if things get worse. I have already put apple cider vinegar in the water so we'll see what happens.
I've been to BC, which part are you in?
Cheers,
MBOrpington

What is the mixing ratio for vinegar in the water? I want to start doing this but dont know how much to use.
I also have a hen that seems to sneeze or make a sharp cluck sound. I have seperated her from the flock. This is now day 6 and I think she is improving. She also had a rattling sound to her breathing occassionally. No fluid from the eyes or nose and still has a great appetite. Mystery! I did as someone suggested and gave her Ivomec. I treated her twice with this and also put antibiotics in her water.So far so good. I'll give it a couple more days, then if I feel like she is better put her back with the flock. None of my other birds show any signs of illness. The more I read, the more I dont know!

Last edited:
Ratio of vinegar to water is 1tsp or 1tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the mother in it) to 1 quart water.
Meanwhile I'm in the Kootenays BC. Beautiful up here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom