Any ideas about this hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brokenspoke, Sep 1, 2011.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke Out Of The Brooder

Hello, this is my favorite hen, she is very smart and responds to voice commands! She is about 2 years old now. When I got her I was told that she was a Rhode Island Red, but after joining this forum, I'm pretty sure that she is not...LOL Any ideas on what she might be, she is bigger all around than my EE's , very intelligent, and somewhat dominant.

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Can you post a better picture??

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking maybe Black Star? See if you can get her to stand up straight in a photo for us. Cheeky Chicky!

4. brokenspoke

I was hoping that one would do...her back end is in a sorry state at the moment. i'll get another pic [​IMG]

5. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Quote:x2

6. brokenspoke

Sorry but she was in the middle of bathing and was not in the mood for photos [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Black Star AKA Black sex-link [​IMG]

8. brokenspoke

Quote:Not familiar with a Black Star, it is a cross like an EE ?

9. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Quote:Not familiar with a Black Star, it is a cross like an EE ?

Not exactly. EEs are generally chickens with a blue egg gene but may lay any color. They are sexlinked so when they hatch we can tell immediately which is female and male based on the color of the chicks. I have a sexlink female, black star. She is black with gold around the neck area. I couldn't quite tell if yours have the gold around the neck area. My black star is my favorite as well. She is smart, for a chicken. I also have a sex link golden comet that lays pretty much without fail every day. She is not as smart as the black star but she is the most reliable layer.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  10. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    What color eggs does she lay? With the light color legs my first guess would be Black Copper Marans. All my BSL have had gray/slate legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by