Any ideas for keeping ducks out of chickens water

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I was thinking of something that the ducks cannot climb or hop over, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had already invented the wheel before I wrack my brain.

I have a chicken coop in my duck coop. It's fenced off with a door that has a plywood gate about eye high to a pekin, maybe a little less. squeezed between a cement block and the fence door way. The chickens have a dust bath, nest box, roost, water, and feed with straw bedding that stays dry, I can also give them treats that they can pick at instead of getting barrelled over by ducks that always think they're starving. It gives them a place to escape the ducks, and keeps the ducks from adding mud to their water. Depending on size and number of birds it wouldn't have to be big. They have access to the entire duck coop which for me is 40x20 feet. They also have access to the duck water if they care to have muck water.

I have a chicken coop in my duck coop. It's fenced off with a door that has a plywood gate about eye high to a pekin, maybe a little less. squeezed between a cement block and the fence door way. The chickens have a dust bath, nest box, roost, water, and feed with straw bedding that stays dry, I can also give them treats that they can pick at instead of getting barrelled over by ducks that always think they're starving. It gives them a place to escape the ducks, and keeps the ducks from adding mud to their water. Depending on size and number of birds it wouldn't have to be big. They have access to the entire duck coop which for me is 40x20 feet. They also have access to the duck water if they care to have muck water.

Sounds like quite the setup, love to see some pictures when you have the chance.

Ok gotcha would a pvc pipe water system be too much to change your chickens to i can show you mine in the am I took pvc pipe and cut holes in it connected it to a bucket that way dirt/mud can't get in it

Sounds like quite the setup, love to see some pictures when you have the chance.

I will get some tomorrow. I got a 4x4x5' dog kennel for my 21st birthday, and over the last 12 years it has been an iguana cage, a cockatiel cage, a catio, an art show display wall, back to a catio, and now a chicken cage inside a coop

The coop is a now enclosed open air hog confinement building. I don't want to raise hogs like that, and didn't have space for goats so we thought ducks could be fun, and now have 30 ducks, 2 geese, and 5 chickens.

If chickens will drink from the nipples or cups, you could hang a bucket for chickens to drink from. Then the ducks can splash in the other water to their content.

Inside mine have a 24x24 ft garage they sleep in that I will soon modify to give the chickens a place that the chickens can escape the ducks. But outside is my issue, I want my chickens to have clean water, as of right now a few of the chickens have diarrhea, so troubleshooting that issue, and clean water will eliminate any questions about the water. Also I simply want them to have clean water..not water that has pine cones and mud in it. The ducks have their own pool. I gave them a bucket too but of course they have to go to every spot of water and muddy it.

And so funny, my ducks are always starving too! The little buggers. I fed everyone watermelon yesterday and the ducks ran everyone off, so I have to go monitor with my squirt bottle to give everyone a chance. :gig

I'm thinking of making a narrow ramp but teaching the chickens to go up the ramp to get a drink may be difficult. My ducks can get on my porch so I will have to be clever about it.

Back
Top Bottom