Any ideas for snack serving containers (tired of sand in fruit)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Haunted Chicken, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I've resorted to using one of my baking pans to serve watermelon and other fruits and veggies in but I know there's got to be better ideas out there [​IMG]. I feel so bad when they grab a nice chunk of fruit only to have it covered in sand by the time they eat it. I tried using a piece of plywood but they just pooped on it lol, not really surprised [​IMG] Maybe a long raised trough [​IMG]
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I use a loaf pan in my brooder/jail. Don't think I'll bring it back into the kitchen again. [​IMG]

I doubt the chickens mind the sand. You could try hanging a feeder/bowl/etc off the ground.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    I gave up and now just put the treats on the ground, except for the mashed banana with oats, that i put on a paper plate . I spread it out over the entire plate so everyone gets a chance at it. Just gotta remember to pick up the plate later or they will shred it.
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I wouldn't worry about sand. It'll just help them digest food.
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:x 2. They'll end up eating some of the sand anyways. Chickens don't seem to mind if their food is a bit dirty.
  6. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Quote:Chickens don't seem to mind if their food is a bit dirty.

Mine insist...all morsels are flung into the dirt and tossed a few times to give an even coating. I don't like it, but I no longer worry about it.
  7. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    lol I guess doing nothing is an easy fix. No complaints here [​IMG]

Thanks, I feel better about their dirty treats now. Well, a bit better. It's still gross [​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    I was using those aluminium cake and pie tins, which they promptly turned over and made a huge mess with. I found some square plastic bowls at Target for $1 that are shallow enough that they can reach in and grab their yogurt and greens/fruit, but they don't flip these over so easily. They often still throw the tidbit into the sand for "sprinkles" but they have the choice. I bought 3 bowls, so when they have finished their snack, I grab the empty bowl and fill it up with water to soak. I take the one that was already soaking, and give it a good rinse. This way I always have one that is clean and ready for use. I'm not sure what I will do in the winter.
  9. cooprunbuilder

cooprunbuilder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I use the plastic containers you get when you order a chinese. well if you live in the uk you would, I just wash them up properly and they are perfect.
  10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:"they're chickens, they have different rules" My son's explination anytime a chicken thing grosses out his city friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by