Any ideas on a sick hen?

bibbyuk

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
On Saturday morning my white star hen (had her from 5 weeks apparantly vaccinated by breeder, and is now 16 months) was out and about in the pen, came for her food as normal and went inside to lay. !/2 an hour later found her in coop entrance unable to stand. I have seperated her and kept an eye on her, she is drinking, eating and her head is up, eyes alert and still taking scraps ok. Her wings can move but it seems she cannot move her legs. She has crawled to the nest box and laid again Sunday and today and tonight still eating and drinking. Does anyone have an idea if this is something serious or curable? i have read about botulism, maraks disease and strains etc, but without ideas do not know what to treat with?
Any info would be most appreciated

yes she the only one i have that lays white eggs and shes laid all 3 days.

This might seem too simple, but here's what i would do first?

Since you said that she was normal before she laid an egg, then crippled after she laid an egg (did i get that right), i have to think that she pulled a muscle or got herself out of joint somehow, since i don't think you contract these horrible diseases instantly like that. So after i checked her abdomen just to make sure her system isn't doing something squirelly, making sure she doesn't have another egg stuck in the wrong place somehow, i would try putting her in a really warm bath and see if you can relax whatever might be out of joint and get her legs moving again. I would do that several days in a row, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, and see if you notice any improvement.

sugar water will give her some energy, feel her crop to make sure food is getting to her and feel it in morning to make sure its going down

She is on water with acv in at moment, but i will try a warm bath tomorrow to see if anything happens, i also have some tonic which i think i will use tomorrow as well instead of acv, read somewhere about vit B deficency??
Cant see any problems on the crop side and she does seem to have energy to crawl round, chicky.
Thanks for replies, hope it is a strain or something Punkin

Back
Top Bottom