Any ideas on coaxing free range hens?

Free range Hi.

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
I'm wondering if anyone knows the best way to coax hens to some small coops to leave eggs. I live in Hawaii and we have wild chickens everywhere. They are free to roam all over my property, I usually chase them away from my vegetable gardens, and chase off some of the obnoxious roosters, but I have about 100 chickens around. I've found egg cluches around but did not eat them because I didn't how old they were. Whenever I discover a hen sitting on a nest I try to leave that area alone, There are 1/2 dozen areas around that are common nests. This summer a blond colored hen would leave an egg or two in a pocket of leaves in my carport, so I got used to having fresh eggs, because she would abandon them I assumed they were mine and ate them. She has not been back in about a week, so I figure she is sitting on a nest elsewhere. So any Ideas. I was going to build a couple of small coops and put them in different places. All the chickens around here roost in the large trees around the property, so I was hoping to not change their habits but would like to eat the eggs they don,t want.
Thank You
N in Hi.

Such an interesting dilemma! Well, my hens respond to treats, so if you give treats perhaps you can coax some into a run and then keep them there until they become used to laying in your coop/run?

Keep us posted. I am so interested in your plight and possible solutions!

I wonder if you took some eggs f4om the nests that you have found, and put them where you want them to lay if that would encourage them. Chickens like to lay eggs where there are already eggs.

Thanks Guys for your suggestions. This morning i am putting together a couple of small coops, the size to accommodate say 2 hens with some leaves and straw. I think I will put them about 2' off the ground, hopefully to help them feel a little safer, with a little feed and I will gather some of the older eggs and mark them, and see what happens. I will let you know what happens
Thanks, Neil

Why couldn't you build a run with your coop and keep 2-3 of these wild chickens in there? I bet they'd be happy with regular food and lovely treats.

Back
Top Bottom