any ideas on humidity problem

florasbell

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
germany
ok my bator has been running now for 2 months with no problems i currently have my (real) egg in there the hum was stable at 50% but the wether has warmed up alot and the hum has dropped to 30/40% and im filling the 3 trays twice aday and still no change.

i have a deep tray with a sponge in the heating compartment another in the bottom of were the eggs are and a damp cloth in the hatcher which are all joined and share the same heat source

is there any way other then sprayng the eggs that i can get it back up again and for it to stay there?

keep in mind that the bator is made of untreated pine is about a meter and half tall and 50cm square

it has the heat source at the bottom with hermostate ect then above that a separate section with eggs and tilting tables thermometer/hydrometer and above that the hatcher which also has a light bulb in as the heat cooled a lot before it got there all in all i have 3 60w bulbs heating the lot water tray in each section but hum still dropping

You may need more surface area for your trays. Like a baking pan you would make brownies in. Also, you can stick sponges in random spots and keep wetting them periodically.

Do you have any pictures?
photosmile.gif

The main way you control humidity is surface area of the water. Depth of water in a tray does not matter, just the exposed wet surface. So either more trays or more wet sponges can help.

Do you have a fan in your incubator? Hot air rises and can take moisture with it. A fan helps keep the heat and moisture distributed. You can possibly raise humidity by closing vents up high if you do not have a fan, but the developing eggs need to breathe, so you do not want to stop all air movement.

i have a large computer fan blowing up from the heating chamber and a small one blowing up on that same side as the other into the hatcher at the top i was trying to get a circluar air flow if you know what i mean up one side down the other it works quiet well i dont have any ventilation holes i it at all as there's a tiny gaps around the heat chamber door were it doesn't seal 100%
ill try and take a picture with my web cam as me camra is broken

89657_183059.jpg

this is the out side sorry it a bit fussy that the web cam
you can see the hatcher at the top eggs in middle and a solid door for the heat chamber
89657_183621.jpg

heat chamber sorry light so bright but i think you can get the idea
89657_183506.jpg

inside the hatching chamber i havent disided on a perminant flooring yet as it has to let air flow

89657_183350.jpg

and these are the egg section with tilting tables ect

hee hee yes i am a woman and yes i designed and built it myself so it probably isn't perfact lol:) but it was my first real try at building one each self holds 16 chicken eggs i currently have 10 chicken bottom and 10 runner duck on the top

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom