Any Ideas on introducing pullets to older ones?

ZANEYchickenguy

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
I am about to introduce 8-week pullets to 16-week pullets and I already set out a poultry netting divider in the run. The problem is... Where do the 8-week pullets sleep in the run?? I don't want the young ones sleeping in the coop with the older pullets until they are 16-17 weeks old. I know that's a long time, but I want them to be the same size and eating the same feed (layer feed). Any ideas on making a small 9 square foot "coop" for three 8 week pullets, protected from the rain. I don't really want anything fancy.

Thank you BYC!

A picture of your henhouse/run would help to get specific ideas. I split up my henhouse for the grow out period instead of the run. It gets them used to sleeping where they're supposed to. Space is a major factor, though - and how many birds you're growing out.

Check out Craiglist's free section. You might find something that will work, or you can ask around with friends and neighbors. Depending on how handy you are, you could maybe modify an old rabbit hutch or dog house.

DSC_3899.JPG
DSC_3900.JPG

Check out Craiglist's free section. You might find something that will work, or you can ask around with friends and neighbors. Depending on how handy you are, you could maybe modify an old rabbit hutch or dog house.
I'm not a big fan of Craigslist, but I do have a 4 square foot dog house. Don't think that will work for 3 pullets.

What climate are you in? If you put their space on the right side of the pop door, it would be more protected from the elements and you may be able to keep them there with nothing but chicken wire. Or maybe just need a few pieces of ply wood to shelter from wind/rain and a perch.

Dog carriers work too. You might have one already and you can usually find some cheap used. It's a trick I learned for raising meat birds. Keep a few dog carriers stacked and after a few nights being put in there they will continue to go in on their own. And for those of you that keep meat birds and need take them to the butcher. At night when they go in to nest just lock all the carrier and they are all ready for transportation in the morning. Chickens will adapt to new living conditions quickly when you remove the carrier.

Back
Top Bottom