any ideas or solutions for a lethargic hen?

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
My rir was acting perfectly normal this morning- I left the house for a few hours and when I came home she was a diffrent bird. First weird thing was she didn't come greet me- she usually follows so closely I trip on her. I found her in a bush staring fluffed up tail down. I set her in her nest box thinking maybe she needed to lay an egg - she just started laying last week and has come crying to me everyday until I physically place her in the box (spoiled I guess). But she eventually jumped out of the box and sat in the livingroom staring- totally unlike her! She eventually wondered back outside where I found her in a different spot staring fluffed tail down.

I read on a different post to give an omega 3 capsule in water (luckily I had exactly 1 left) so I mixed it with water and a tiny bit of a save A chick packet. I got some of it down her throat I think the majority spilled on the sink. And let her wonder back outside.

When I checked her a few min later she was lethargically pecking the ground (so a little better). I mixed the rest of a save a chick packet and brought it out as a treat. Ducks said thanks. The other chicken came to investigate but poo pood it and she totally ignored the entire situation.
sad.png
*-worried-

Sorry for the play by play! But thank you for reading! Any suggestions??

oh she hasn't laid an egg in maybe 3 days- Altho yesterday we found a "soft egg" in the coop (never seen one before but that's what I was told it was) so if that counts as an egg its been one or 2 days.

Update: she seems a little perkier already. I think ill try to give her what's left of the omega/save a chick solution before bed just in case. -fingers crossed-

Back
Top Bottom